‘World of Warcraft’ Movie Snags Duncan Jones, Director Of ‘Moon’ And ‘Source Code’
By Yannick LeJacq | February 1, 2013 6:57 AM EST
The long-stalled film adaption of Activision Blizzard’s (NASDAQ:ATVI) video game “World of Warcraft” finally has a new director.
Following the ouster of “Evil Dead” and “Spider Man” director Sam Raimi, Legendary Pictures has now snagged Duncan Jones, the director of the science fiction films “Moon” and “Source Code,” according to a Hollywood Reporter story from Thursday. The script, meanwhile, was written by Charles Leavitt, who previously wrote the screenplays for “The Express,” “Blood Diamond,” and “K-PAX.”
Jones is apparently working on a $100 million budget, and will actually be collaborating with some high profile Blizzard insiders to carry the company’s massive multiplayer online (MMO) video game to the big screen. The Hollywood Reporter named Chris Metzen, a long-time Blizzard game designer and occasional voiceover actor for the company’s titles who served as the creative director for 2002’s “Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos” and contributed writing and narrative design to Blizzard’s other franchises including “Starcraft” and “Diablo.”
While Sam Raimi was originally slated to direct the film, he backed out in order to direct the upcoming “Oz the Great and Powerful,” saying at a press conference at the 2012 San Diego Comic-Con convention that Legendary Pictures “had to start making it” and couldn’t wait for him any longer.
Film adaptions of video games are almost universally atrocious, offending the average moviegoer and veteran gamer alike for their imperfect union of two different mediums. But Jones seemed to accept the challenge happily, cheering his new role Wednesday night on Twitter.
“So the gauntlet was thrown down ages ago: Can you make a proper MOVIE of a video game,” Jones wrote. “Ive always said its possible. Got to DO it now!”
A film adaptation of one of the most popular video game franchises in history has been a long time coming. Though “World of Warcraft” does not command the billion-strong user-base of “Angry Birds” (which has its own film adaption coming as well), nor does it even have as many monthly subscribers as it did when it broke 12 million in October 2010, the WoW brand is essentially synonymous with the success of the current blockbuster AAA video game industry. Activision has even made subtle moves in the development and monetization of its flagship “Call of Duty” franchise to introduce subscription-based and community-driven content similar to “World of Warcraft,” such as its popular “Call of Duty: Elite” service.
A “Call of Duty” movie may be further down the road. But if Activision’s cinematic venture proves successful, it could only mean more merchandising opportunities for AAA game franchises beyond the games themselves in the future.
The “World of Warcraft” movie is expected to being production later in 2013 and hit theaters in 2015.
Activision shares jumped one and one-quarter percent Thursday, reaching $11.48 in early morning trading.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat Still Delayed for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3
- PS4 News: 2 Possible Sets of PS Plus Games for August 2014 Leaked and Additional Features for PS4
- GTA V Online: Money-Glitch Ban Goes After Cheaters as a New Zombie DLC Leak is Spotted
- HTC One Mini 2 vs. LG G2 Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Xbox One News: EA Subscription Effective for Microsoft’s Next-gen Console; Forza Horizon 2 Announces 16 More Cars
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’