‘World of Warcraft’ Movie Snags Duncan Jones, Director Of ‘Moon’ And ‘Source Code’
By Yannick LeJacq | February 1, 2013 6:57 AM EST
The long-stalled film adaption of Activision Blizzard’s (NASDAQ:ATVI) video game “World of Warcraft” finally has a new director.
Following the ouster of “Evil Dead” and “Spider Man” director Sam Raimi, Legendary Pictures has now snagged Duncan Jones, the director of the science fiction films “Moon” and “Source Code,” according to a Hollywood Reporter story from Thursday. The script, meanwhile, was written by Charles Leavitt, who previously wrote the screenplays for “The Express,” “Blood Diamond,” and “K-PAX.”
Jones is apparently working on a $100 million budget, and will actually be collaborating with some high profile Blizzard insiders to carry the company’s massive multiplayer online (MMO) video game to the big screen. The Hollywood Reporter named Chris Metzen, a long-time Blizzard game designer and occasional voiceover actor for the company’s titles who served as the creative director for 2002’s “Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos” and contributed writing and narrative design to Blizzard’s other franchises including “Starcraft” and “Diablo.”
While Sam Raimi was originally slated to direct the film, he backed out in order to direct the upcoming “Oz the Great and Powerful,” saying at a press conference at the 2012 San Diego Comic-Con convention that Legendary Pictures “had to start making it” and couldn’t wait for him any longer.
Film adaptions of video games are almost universally atrocious, offending the average moviegoer and veteran gamer alike for their imperfect union of two different mediums. But Jones seemed to accept the challenge happily, cheering his new role Wednesday night on Twitter.
“So the gauntlet was thrown down ages ago: Can you make a proper MOVIE of a video game,” Jones wrote. “Ive always said its possible. Got to DO it now!”
A film adaptation of one of the most popular video game franchises in history has been a long time coming. Though “World of Warcraft” does not command the billion-strong user-base of “Angry Birds” (which has its own film adaption coming as well), nor does it even have as many monthly subscribers as it did when it broke 12 million in October 2010, the WoW brand is essentially synonymous with the success of the current blockbuster AAA video game industry. Activision has even made subtle moves in the development and monetization of its flagship “Call of Duty” franchise to introduce subscription-based and community-driven content similar to “World of Warcraft,” such as its popular “Call of Duty: Elite” service.
A “Call of Duty” movie may be further down the road. But if Activision’s cinematic venture proves successful, it could only mean more merchandising opportunities for AAA game franchises beyond the games themselves in the future.
The “World of Warcraft” movie is expected to being production later in 2013 and hit theaters in 2015.
Activision shares jumped one and one-quarter percent Thursday, reaching $11.48 in early morning trading.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L Rollout Prediction: Nexus 4, Moto X, HTC One, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4, LG G2
- 'Assassin's Creed' Update: 'Unity' And 'Rogue' Not A Multiplayer Player Game, Ubisoft Confirms
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Weekend Event For San Andreas Flight School Update And A Deals With Gold Offer
- Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One M8 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- Xbox One And 360 Updates: MTV, Twitch App Announced As New 500GB Hard Drive Gets Revealed
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch