Arsenal Close to Sealing €10m Deal for Spanish Defender – Report
By Adrian Back | February 1, 2013 6:24 AM EST
Arsenal may yet complete one signing in the January transfer window with the news that Malaga left-back Nacho Monreal is close to moving to the Emirates.
The Sun has reported that Arsenal are attempting to secure a last minute deal for the defender after learning that Kieran Gibbs will be ruled out of action for a number of weeks with a thigh injury.
Monreal has been in superb form for Malaga this season and played an instrumental role in helping the club qualify for the knockout stages of the Champions League.
The 26-year-old has won nine caps for Spain and has played more than 40 times for Malaga since he joined the club in the summer of 2011 for €6million from Osasuna.
Arsenal do have cover for Gibbs in Brazilian Andre Santos but the defender has come in for a lot of criticism for his recent performances and has struggled to adapt to life in the Premier League since joining from Turkish side Fenerbahce.
It had looked as though Arsenal would not be doing any business in the current transfer window but it seems the injury to Gibbs has forced their hand.
Monreal plays at left-back but is known for his ability to get forward down the flank, despite only scoring his first goal for Malaga earlier this week in the 3-2 win over Mallorca.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- For Mayweather, The Prize Comes First, Not The Fans
- Roger Federer Hailed Swiss Sportsman Of The Year, Beating Stan Wawrinka
- Serena Williams On Caroline Wozniacki’s Friendship:’I Have Had A Love For Caroline From The Day I Met Her’
- NFL News: Chicago Bears Likely To Fire Head Coach Marc Trestman At End Of NFL Season