Arsenal Close to Sealing €10m Deal for Spanish Defender – Report
By Adrian Back | February 1, 2013 6:24 AM EST
Arsenal may yet complete one signing in the January transfer window with the news that Malaga left-back Nacho Monreal is close to moving to the Emirates.
The Sun has reported that Arsenal are attempting to secure a last minute deal for the defender after learning that Kieran Gibbs will be ruled out of action for a number of weeks with a thigh injury.
Monreal has been in superb form for Malaga this season and played an instrumental role in helping the club qualify for the knockout stages of the Champions League.
The 26-year-old has won nine caps for Spain and has played more than 40 times for Malaga since he joined the club in the summer of 2011 for €6million from Osasuna.
Arsenal do have cover for Gibbs in Brazilian Andre Santos but the defender has come in for a lot of criticism for his recent performances and has struggled to adapt to life in the Premier League since joining from Turkish side Fenerbahce.
It had looked as though Arsenal would not be doing any business in the current transfer window but it seems the injury to Gibbs has forced their hand.
Monreal plays at left-back but is known for his ability to get forward down the flank, despite only scoring his first goal for Malaga earlier this week in the 3-2 win over Mallorca.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales