Arsenal Close to Sealing €10m Deal for Spanish Defender – Report
By Adrian Back | February 1, 2013 6:24 AM EST
Arsenal may yet complete one signing in the January transfer window with the news that Malaga left-back Nacho Monreal is close to moving to the Emirates.
The Sun has reported that Arsenal are attempting to secure a last minute deal for the defender after learning that Kieran Gibbs will be ruled out of action for a number of weeks with a thigh injury.
Monreal has been in superb form for Malaga this season and played an instrumental role in helping the club qualify for the knockout stages of the Champions League.
The 26-year-old has won nine caps for Spain and has played more than 40 times for Malaga since he joined the club in the summer of 2011 for €6million from Osasuna.
Arsenal do have cover for Gibbs in Brazilian Andre Santos but the defender has come in for a lot of criticism for his recent performances and has struggled to adapt to life in the Premier League since joining from Turkish side Fenerbahce.
It had looked as though Arsenal would not be doing any business in the current transfer window but it seems the injury to Gibbs has forced their hand.
Monreal plays at left-back but is known for his ability to get forward down the flank, despite only scoring his first goal for Malaga earlier this week in the 3-2 win over Mallorca.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks