Arsenal Close to Sealing €10m Deal for Spanish Defender – Report
By Adrian Back | February 1, 2013 6:24 AM EST
Arsenal may yet complete one signing in the January transfer window with the news that Malaga left-back Nacho Monreal is close to moving to the Emirates.
The Sun has reported that Arsenal are attempting to secure a last minute deal for the defender after learning that Kieran Gibbs will be ruled out of action for a number of weeks with a thigh injury.
Monreal has been in superb form for Malaga this season and played an instrumental role in helping the club qualify for the knockout stages of the Champions League.
The 26-year-old has won nine caps for Spain and has played more than 40 times for Malaga since he joined the club in the summer of 2011 for €6million from Osasuna.
Arsenal do have cover for Gibbs in Brazilian Andre Santos but the defender has come in for a lot of criticism for his recent performances and has struggled to adapt to life in the Premier League since joining from Turkish side Fenerbahce.
It had looked as though Arsenal would not be doing any business in the current transfer window but it seems the injury to Gibbs has forced their hand.
Monreal plays at left-back but is known for his ability to get forward down the flank, despite only scoring his first goal for Malaga earlier this week in the 3-2 win over Mallorca.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WWE SummerSlam Results & Highlights: Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena, Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton
- Australian BASE Jumper Killed in French Alps
- Splint-Free Rafael Nadal in Intense Practice for US Open Campaign
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- US, Canada Labour Activists ‘Block the Boat for Gaza’ Succeed in Blocking Docking of Israeli Ship in California Port
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Larger 5.5inch iPhone 6 Variant Will Roll Out in the Market as ‘iPhone 6L’
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff