Arsenal Close to Sealing €10m Deal for Spanish Defender – Report
By Adrian Back | February 1, 2013 6:24 AM EST
Arsenal may yet complete one signing in the January transfer window with the news that Malaga left-back Nacho Monreal is close to moving to the Emirates.
The Sun has reported that Arsenal are attempting to secure a last minute deal for the defender after learning that Kieran Gibbs will be ruled out of action for a number of weeks with a thigh injury.
Monreal has been in superb form for Malaga this season and played an instrumental role in helping the club qualify for the knockout stages of the Champions League.
The 26-year-old has won nine caps for Spain and has played more than 40 times for Malaga since he joined the club in the summer of 2011 for €6million from Osasuna.
Arsenal do have cover for Gibbs in Brazilian Andre Santos but the defender has come in for a lot of criticism for his recent performances and has struggled to adapt to life in the Premier League since joining from Turkish side Fenerbahce.
It had looked as though Arsenal would not be doing any business in the current transfer window but it seems the injury to Gibbs has forced their hand.
Monreal plays at left-back but is known for his ability to get forward down the flank, despite only scoring his first goal for Malaga earlier this week in the 3-2 win over Mallorca.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’