Nexus 4 Availability Returns To US As Alleged Photos Of White Handsets Leak Online
By Lisa Eadicicco | February 1, 2013 6:01 AM EST
Just the other day, Google CEO Larry Page acknowledged that ongoing supply issues affecting the Nexus 4 need to be addressed. Now, the search engine giant appears to be making moves on restocking its flagship Android-based handset.
Google has started selling its much sought-after smartphone in Germany, the US, France, Spain and the UK once again. Earlier this week, both the 8GB and 16GB versions of the Nexus 4 were sold out in the U.S., but now the Google Play Store promises that these devices will ship “soon.”
According to Google, Nexus 4 buyers should be seeing their orders shipped within two weeks. As for Germany, Google confirmed to The Verge on Monday that it is now selling the handset in that country, and plans to expand its stock of Nexus 4 devices to other areas in the near future.
AsGoogle begins to restock its various Google Play stores around the globe, the company and one of its manufacturers, LG, may be plotting to launch another version of the demanded handset in the near future. On Tuesday, an anonymous tipster sent a photo depicting a white Nexus 4 to PhoneArena, sparking rumor that another Nexus 4 will launch soon.
But that’s not all--- if some Nexus 4 fans weren’t already convinced, an entire gallery of photos showing a white version of the smartphone allegedly leaked online Wednesday. These images seem to have originated from Vietnamese website Tinhte.vn, and showcase a Nexus 4 with a snowy white rear casing.
What’s more interesting is that Google and LG seem to have chosen a unique design for its white Nexus 4, assuming these photos prove to be accurate. Rather than just launching an all-white version of the device, the reportedly leaked photos showcase a version with a white back plate and black front piece. Like the current version of the Nexus 4, it comes with the same black bezels.
This idea of a white model isn’t new for Google fans that have been watching the Nexus 4 closely. Rumors of a white Nexus 4 began to gain momentum back in November when PhoneArena found an allegedly leaked listing from UK carrier TalkTalk. The reported leak indicated that the white Nexus 4 would come bundled with a Nexus 7 tablet after signing a two-year contract with TalkTalk.
There’s no telling if these recently discovered photos are legitimate, but PhoneArena says that the EXIF data on the original image indicates the picture was taken with an LG Optimus G. This could hint that a source from LG or someone closely tied to the company took the image, but it’s important to remember that this type of data is easy to fake.
Google officially announced its Nexus 4 alongside the Nexus 10 tablet back in November, and the handset sold out immediately upon launch. When the phone is actually in stock, the 8GB version sells for $299 while the 16GB variant costs $349 unlocked. The Nexus 4 was initially only available through the Google Play store carrier free, but now buyers have the option of purchasing a subsidized unit from T-Mobile for $199 with a two-year contract.
This is surprisingly cheap for a high-end contract-free device, considering unlocked smartphones typically cost upwards of $500. The Nexus 4 comes with a 4.7-inch screen sporting a resolution of 1280 x 768 and a 320 ppi. It’s powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and is equipped with an 8-megapixel front facing camera and Android 4.2 right out of the box. These are fairly decent specs considering the price, but it should be noted that the Nexus 4 is missing 4G LTE.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes