UK bank bosses face MPs in standards probe
February 1, 2013 5:42 AM EST
Britain's Parliamentary Commission on Banking Standards (PCBS) has this month switched its focus to standards and culture after spending most of the past three months assessing structural reform.
It is likely to grill executives on mis-selling, pay and what is being done to improve risk management and culture that have been shown to be flawed.
Lloyds CEO Antonio Horta-Osorio and Chairman Win Bischoff will appear together before the panel on Monday, followed by new Barclays CEO Antony Jenkins and Chairman David Walker on Tuesday. HSBC CEO Stuart Gulliver and Chairman Douglas Flint will appear on Wednesday.
All three banks have had problems in the past year.
A $450 million (£283.6 million) fine for Barclays in June for rigging Libor interest rates unearthed long-standing concerns at the regulator about its culture, and HSBC was fined a record $1.9 billion by U.S. authorities for weak anti-money laundering controls. Both banks have faced criticism they are too big and complex.
Lloyds has been slammed for too aggressively selling retail products, which has left it with a far bigger bill than rivals for compensating customers mis-sold insurance products.
All banks have been criticised for their PPI (payment protection insurance) sales policies - the industry may end up paying more than 20 billion pounds in compensation - and banks may have to pay out billions more after the UK regulator on Thursday found they had mis-sold complex interest-rate hedging products to small businesses.
Mark Carney, the future governor of the Bank, is also likely to face questions on his views on banking standards when he appears before UK politicians next Thursday.
(Reporting by Steve Slater; Editing by Helen Massy-Beresford)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop