Hundreds of Dead and Dying Seabirds Covered in Mystery Substance Wash Ashore in Devon and Cornwall
By Hannah Osborne | February 1, 2013 5:39 AM EST
Hundreds of seabirds covered in a waxy glue-like substance have washed up along the southwest coast of England.
Many of the birds were already dead. More than 100 surviving birds have been taken to the West Hatch Animal Centre in Taunton.
The birds were washed ashore over a 200-mile stretch of coastline from Chesil Cove near Weymouth to Cornwall.
Many were guillemots, the RSPB said. Peter Venn, manager at the RSPCA's West Hatch, said: "The numbers of birds arriving in our centre are growing and we are doing all we can to help them - but it is too early to tell how successful these attempts will be.
"We do not know what this substance is or where it has come from yet, but we do know it is not fuel.
"It may be bi-product from manufacture.
"There are also reports of the sticky substance washing up on the beach so we would urge people walking their dogs in the area to also be careful."
Martin Case, warden of the Portland Bird Observatory, told the BBC that the substance was like PVA glue.
"Most of [the birds] aren't dead and if they get cleaned up by the RSPCA they have a have a chance of survival," he said.
But RSPCA officers said that the birds were not responding well to the cleaning techniques used to remove oil.
Dorset Wildlife Trust said it was collecting samples of the mystery substance.
It warned people not to approach the sites as it could be dangerous for humans.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- James Foley's Family and Boss Reject Syrian Claim of Foley Killed A Year Ago
- British Cleric Accused of Urging James Foley Executioner; Predicted ISIS Will Fight in the West
- Amish Girls Abducted, Handcuffed And Used As Sex Slaves
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown