Hundreds of Dead and Dying Seabirds Covered in Mystery Substance Wash Ashore in Devon and Cornwall
By Hannah Osborne | February 1, 2013 5:39 AM EST
Hundreds of seabirds covered in a waxy glue-like substance have washed up along the southwest coast of England.
Many of the birds were already dead. More than 100 surviving birds have been taken to the West Hatch Animal Centre in Taunton.
The birds were washed ashore over a 200-mile stretch of coastline from Chesil Cove near Weymouth to Cornwall.
Many were guillemots, the RSPB said. Peter Venn, manager at the RSPCA's West Hatch, said: "The numbers of birds arriving in our centre are growing and we are doing all we can to help them - but it is too early to tell how successful these attempts will be.
"We do not know what this substance is or where it has come from yet, but we do know it is not fuel.
"It may be bi-product from manufacture.
"There are also reports of the sticky substance washing up on the beach so we would urge people walking their dogs in the area to also be careful."
Martin Case, warden of the Portland Bird Observatory, told the BBC that the substance was like PVA glue.
"Most of [the birds] aren't dead and if they get cleaned up by the RSPCA they have a have a chance of survival," he said.
But RSPCA officers said that the birds were not responding well to the cleaning techniques used to remove oil.
Dorset Wildlife Trust said it was collecting samples of the mystery substance.
It warned people not to approach the sites as it could be dangerous for humans.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related