Hundreds of Dead and Dying Seabirds Covered in Mystery Substance Wash Ashore in Devon and Cornwall
By Hannah Osborne | February 1, 2013 5:39 AM EST
Hundreds of seabirds covered in a waxy glue-like substance have washed up along the southwest coast of England.
Many of the birds were already dead. More than 100 surviving birds have been taken to the West Hatch Animal Centre in Taunton.
The birds were washed ashore over a 200-mile stretch of coastline from Chesil Cove near Weymouth to Cornwall.
Many were guillemots, the RSPB said. Peter Venn, manager at the RSPCA's West Hatch, said: "The numbers of birds arriving in our centre are growing and we are doing all we can to help them - but it is too early to tell how successful these attempts will be.
"We do not know what this substance is or where it has come from yet, but we do know it is not fuel.
"It may be bi-product from manufacture.
"There are also reports of the sticky substance washing up on the beach so we would urge people walking their dogs in the area to also be careful."
Martin Case, warden of the Portland Bird Observatory, told the BBC that the substance was like PVA glue.
"Most of [the birds] aren't dead and if they get cleaned up by the RSPCA they have a have a chance of survival," he said.
But RSPCA officers said that the birds were not responding well to the cleaning techniques used to remove oil.
Dorset Wildlife Trust said it was collecting samples of the mystery substance.
It warned people not to approach the sites as it could be dangerous for humans.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase