Hundreds of Dead and Dying Seabirds Covered in Mystery Substance Wash Ashore in Devon and Cornwall
By Hannah Osborne | February 1, 2013 5:39 AM EST
Hundreds of seabirds covered in a waxy glue-like substance have washed up along the southwest coast of England.
Many of the birds were already dead. More than 100 surviving birds have been taken to the West Hatch Animal Centre in Taunton.
The birds were washed ashore over a 200-mile stretch of coastline from Chesil Cove near Weymouth to Cornwall.
Many were guillemots, the RSPB said. Peter Venn, manager at the RSPCA's West Hatch, said: "The numbers of birds arriving in our centre are growing and we are doing all we can to help them - but it is too early to tell how successful these attempts will be.
"We do not know what this substance is or where it has come from yet, but we do know it is not fuel.
"It may be bi-product from manufacture.
"There are also reports of the sticky substance washing up on the beach so we would urge people walking their dogs in the area to also be careful."
Martin Case, warden of the Portland Bird Observatory, told the BBC that the substance was like PVA glue.
"Most of [the birds] aren't dead and if they get cleaned up by the RSPCA they have a have a chance of survival," he said.
But RSPCA officers said that the birds were not responding well to the cleaning techniques used to remove oil.
Dorset Wildlife Trust said it was collecting samples of the mystery substance.
It warned people not to approach the sites as it could be dangerous for humans.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet