Caleb Moore Dies: Freestyle Snowmobile Rider Dead After Crash At Winter X Games 2013 [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 1, 2013 5:23 AM EST
Family spokeswoman Chelsea Lawson, as cited by the Associated Press, says Moore died Thursday morning. He had been staying at a hospital in Grand Junction.
Moore, 25, fell short of a complete rotation while attempting a backflip in the competition and was thrown from his sled. Weighing in at 450 pounds, the riders sled hit the rider upon landing, knocking him unconscious for a brief moment. The X Games athlete walked away from the crash, but was taken to the Aspen Valley Hospital soon after.
According to ESPN, Moore developed bleeding around his heart while at the hospital and was then flown to Grand Junction for surgery Friday.
On Sunday, a family spokeswoman said Moore's injuries include "a secondary complication involving his brain."
"Caleb continues to be monitored in ICU," Chelsea Lawson told The Denver Post on Sunday. "His cardiac injury has led to secondary complication involving his brain. The Moore family thanks all of Caleb's fans and friends for their support and for respecting their privacy."
Caleb’s younger brother, Colten, also crashed in the competition and was taken to the hospital with a separated pelvis, but was released from the hospital after returning to stable condition.
Caleb Moore had been active in ATV/Snowmobile Freestyle Riding in the Winter X Games since 2009 and had accumulated three Winter X medals -- two bronze and one silver.
2013 Winter X Games: Caleb Moore Snowmobile Crash
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales