Caleb Moore Dies: Freestyle Snowmobile Rider Dead After Crash At Winter X Games 2013 [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 1, 2013 5:23 AM EST
Family spokeswoman Chelsea Lawson, as cited by the Associated Press, says Moore died Thursday morning. He had been staying at a hospital in Grand Junction.
Moore, 25, fell short of a complete rotation while attempting a backflip in the competition and was thrown from his sled. Weighing in at 450 pounds, the riders sled hit the rider upon landing, knocking him unconscious for a brief moment. The X Games athlete walked away from the crash, but was taken to the Aspen Valley Hospital soon after.
According to ESPN, Moore developed bleeding around his heart while at the hospital and was then flown to Grand Junction for surgery Friday.
On Sunday, a family spokeswoman said Moore's injuries include "a secondary complication involving his brain."
"Caleb continues to be monitored in ICU," Chelsea Lawson told The Denver Post on Sunday. "His cardiac injury has led to secondary complication involving his brain. The Moore family thanks all of Caleb's fans and friends for their support and for respecting their privacy."
Caleb’s younger brother, Colten, also crashed in the competition and was taken to the hospital with a separated pelvis, but was released from the hospital after returning to stable condition.
Caleb Moore had been active in ATV/Snowmobile Freestyle Riding in the Winter X Games since 2009 and had accumulated three Winter X medals -- two bronze and one silver.
2013 Winter X Games: Caleb Moore Snowmobile Crash
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions