David Beckham to Donate Paris St Germain Salary to Kids' Charity
February 1, 2013 4:22 AM EST
David Beckham has revealed that he will donate his entire salary from new club Paris St Germain to charity.
The 37-year-old football icon said he will not earn a penny in wages from his five-month contract - even though PSG, backed by the Qatari royal family, is one of the world's richest football clubs.
Beckham said the money will go to a local Paris children's charity, although he did not disclose the name.
Speaking at a press conference to announce his signing, the former Manchester United and Real Madrid player claimed the prospect of playing without a salary is "very exciting" and "not something that has been done before."
"I am very lucky to have earned what I have earned throughout my career" he added.
Beckham is thought to have a net worth of £125m, and became the highest-paid player in America's Major League when he moved to LA Galaxy on a £4.1 million-a-year deal in 2007.
However it was revealed last May that he had taken a £1.6 million pay cut to stay in America.
Beckham also revealed his family will remain in London, where the children are schooled, and he will commute to his new club on the Eurostar.
England's most-capped outfield player also said he would have to "brush up" on his French. When asked what he can say in the language, Beckham replied simply: "bonjour".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop