David Beckham to Donate Paris St Germain Salary to Kids' Charity
February 1, 2013 4:22 AM EST
David Beckham has revealed that he will donate his entire salary from new club Paris St Germain to charity.
The 37-year-old football icon said he will not earn a penny in wages from his five-month contract - even though PSG, backed by the Qatari royal family, is one of the world's richest football clubs.
Beckham said the money will go to a local Paris children's charity, although he did not disclose the name.
Speaking at a press conference to announce his signing, the former Manchester United and Real Madrid player claimed the prospect of playing without a salary is "very exciting" and "not something that has been done before."
"I am very lucky to have earned what I have earned throughout my career" he added.
Beckham is thought to have a net worth of £125m, and became the highest-paid player in America's Major League when he moved to LA Galaxy on a £4.1 million-a-year deal in 2007.
However it was revealed last May that he had taken a £1.6 million pay cut to stay in America.
Beckham also revealed his family will remain in London, where the children are schooled, and he will commute to his new club on the Eurostar.
England's most-capped outfield player also said he would have to "brush up" on his French. When asked what he can say in the language, Beckham replied simply: "bonjour".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Angel Di Maria’s Exit And Hummels’ Future Move
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money