David Beckham to Donate Paris St Germain Salary to Kids' Charity
February 1, 2013 4:22 AM EST
David Beckham has revealed that he will donate his entire salary from new club Paris St Germain to charity.
The 37-year-old football icon said he will not earn a penny in wages from his five-month contract - even though PSG, backed by the Qatari royal family, is one of the world's richest football clubs.
Beckham said the money will go to a local Paris children's charity, although he did not disclose the name.
Speaking at a press conference to announce his signing, the former Manchester United and Real Madrid player claimed the prospect of playing without a salary is "very exciting" and "not something that has been done before."
"I am very lucky to have earned what I have earned throughout my career" he added.
Beckham is thought to have a net worth of £125m, and became the highest-paid player in America's Major League when he moved to LA Galaxy on a £4.1 million-a-year deal in 2007.
However it was revealed last May that he had taken a £1.6 million pay cut to stay in America.
Beckham also revealed his family will remain in London, where the children are schooled, and he will commute to his new club on the Eurostar.
England's most-capped outfield player also said he would have to "brush up" on his French. When asked what he can say in the language, Beckham replied simply: "bonjour".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- Raining Discounts: $100 Price Cut on Moto X; LG G3 Available for $100 On-Contract; Sony Xperia Z2 on Release Date Gets $50 Price Cut (U.S.)