David Beckham to Donate Paris St Germain Salary to Kids' Charity
February 1, 2013 4:22 AM EST
David Beckham has revealed that he will donate his entire salary from new club Paris St Germain to charity.
The 37-year-old football icon said he will not earn a penny in wages from his five-month contract - even though PSG, backed by the Qatari royal family, is one of the world's richest football clubs.
Beckham said the money will go to a local Paris children's charity, although he did not disclose the name.
Speaking at a press conference to announce his signing, the former Manchester United and Real Madrid player claimed the prospect of playing without a salary is "very exciting" and "not something that has been done before."
"I am very lucky to have earned what I have earned throughout my career" he added.
Beckham is thought to have a net worth of £125m, and became the highest-paid player in America's Major League when he moved to LA Galaxy on a £4.1 million-a-year deal in 2007.
However it was revealed last May that he had taken a £1.6 million pay cut to stay in America.
Beckham also revealed his family will remain in London, where the children are schooled, and he will commute to his new club on the Eurostar.
England's most-capped outfield player also said he would have to "brush up" on his French. When asked what he can say in the language, Beckham replied simply: "bonjour".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install