David Beckham to Donate Paris St Germain Salary to Kids' Charity
February 1, 2013 4:22 AM EST
David Beckham has revealed that he will donate his entire salary from new club Paris St Germain to charity.
The 37-year-old football icon said he will not earn a penny in wages from his five-month contract - even though PSG, backed by the Qatari royal family, is one of the world's richest football clubs.
Beckham said the money will go to a local Paris children's charity, although he did not disclose the name.
Speaking at a press conference to announce his signing, the former Manchester United and Real Madrid player claimed the prospect of playing without a salary is "very exciting" and "not something that has been done before."
"I am very lucky to have earned what I have earned throughout my career" he added.
Beckham is thought to have a net worth of £125m, and became the highest-paid player in America's Major League when he moved to LA Galaxy on a £4.1 million-a-year deal in 2007.
However it was revealed last May that he had taken a £1.6 million pay cut to stay in America.
Beckham also revealed his family will remain in London, where the children are schooled, and he will commute to his new club on the Eurostar.
England's most-capped outfield player also said he would have to "brush up" on his French. When asked what he can say in the language, Beckham replied simply: "bonjour".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- Australian Liberals Urge Expat Kiwis To Favour John Key In New Zealand Election