Faber to Maria: "You Don't Own Gold And You Are In Great Danger"
By Mark O`Byrne | February 1, 2013 2:08 AM EST
Today’s AM fix was USD 1,674.50, EUR 1,234.88, and GBP 1,058.47 per ounce.
Yesterday’s AM fix was USD 1,666.25, EUR 1,230.70, and GBP 1,057.20 per ounce.
Silver is trading at $32.08/oz, €23.76/oz and £20.40/oz. Platinum is trading at $1,677.50/oz, palladium at $736.00/oz and rhodium at $1,200/oz.
Cross Currency Table – (Bloomberg)
Gold rose $13.80 or 0.83% in New York yesterday and closed at $1,676.50/oz. Silver slipped to a low of $31.24 in the morning, but it then ran up to a high of $32.24 and finished with a gain of 2.01%.
Gold hovered nearly unchanged after surprise GDP figures showed that the U.S. economy contracted and the U.S. Federal Reserve maintained asset purchases. Platinum is on track for its most stellar month’s performance in a year.
The U.S. GDP was -0.1% for Q4 and it was expected at 1%. This was its largest drop since 2Q 2009 as U.S. military defence spending plummeted. The Fed left their $85 billion bond-buying stimulus plan intact, citing the monetary stimulus was critical to decrease unemployment, however mentioned this lull in the U.S. economic recovery was temporary.
Investors will be watching the nonfarm payrolls data out tomorrow.
Gold reached multi year highs in Japanese yen again overnight.
TOCOM's December contract, reached a record 4,944 yen a gram or 153,000 yen per ounce. Gold as climbed more than 6% this year on a weakening yen after Prime Minister Shinzo Abe called on Japan's central bank to ease policy even more aggressively.
Reuters reported a dealer in Tokyo saying "Of course a weaker yen attracts buyers, but I think we shall wait for the price to hit 5,000 yen before we see some selling."
India's government announced it does not have plans to for additional taxes or curbs on imports of gold as it waits to see the impact of recent tax increases, said a finance ministry official yesterday.
Respected CNBC financial journalist Maria Baritromo interviewed Marc Faber, a contrarian Swiss investor and publisher of the Gloom Boom and Doom Report.
“You said a minute ago that markets go up and down, doesn’t gold go up and down too?” said Baritromo.
“Yes it does go up and down but I am fearful of a systemic crisis, wars and so on and it is because I am fearful that I own gold,” said Faber.
Faber then asked Baritromo if she owned any gold. Her response was that I own earrings and jewellery.
Faber relied, “Sorry to say you are in great danger because you don't own any gold...but you have a golden personality!”
This tiny snippet of an interview highlights what research at GoldCore has been saying for years. Although many people think gold is a huge bubble like the housing market that burst, it is simply not the case.
How many people do you know that diversify their portfolios with precious metals like silver and gold bullion? Systemic risk is defined as "financial system instability, potentially catastrophic, caused or exacerbated by idiosyncratic events or conditions in financial intermediaries". This is akin to the effect of the proverbial pebble when dropped in the pond, it ripples outward.
The global marketplace is interconnected and potential danger across the pond such as the Lehman Brothers catastrophe affects investors across the world. Bullion investment is a proven hedge to diversify against systemic risk.
Gold Trades Near One-Week High on U.S. Economy, Fed's Stimulus - Bloomberg
Gold or Platinum—Which Will Get to $2,000 First? - CNBC
Kaye - Expect A Massive Silver Short Squeeze – King World News
Things That Make You Go Hmm - Such As Currency Wars – Zero Hedge
For breaking news and commentary on financial markets and gold, follow us on Twitter.
Copyright GoldCore All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8