Cole Leads England Squad for Brazil Friendly
By Didrik Ottesen | February 1, 2013 2:08 AM EST
England manager Roy Hodgson has included Ashley Cole is his 24-man squad for the friendly against Brazil in preparation for the following month's World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Montenegro.
Cole is set to win his 100th cap should he feature against the five-time World Cup winners, after missing out on selection against Sweden due to injury.
Elsewhere, there are few surprises in Hodgson's squad, where Everton's Leon Osman retaining his place following his debut against Sweden last November.
With John Ruddy and Fraser Forster missing through injury, and Hodgson has consequently named only two goalkeepers in Jack Butland and Joe Hart.
Manchester United defender Chris Smalling is also back in the squad for the first time in almost a year after injury, his last cap coming against Holland in February.
The match versus Brazil is the first of several Wembley fixtures set to celebrate The FA's 150th anniversary this year, with matches lined up against Ireland and Scotland later in 2013.
The England squad in full:
Goalkeepers: Jack Butland, Joe Hart.
Defenders: Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Joleon Lescott, Chris Smalling, Kyle Walker.
Midfielders: Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Leon Osman, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo Walcott, Jack Wilshere.
Forwards: Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match