EUR/USD Setting up a Consolidation Range for a Breakout Trade
By Fan Yang | February 1, 2013 2:06 AM EST
Forex Technical Update
EUR/USD 1H chart 1/31/2013 9:55AM EST
Consolidation: The EUR/USD has been in the habit of rallying, then consolidating sideways. It did so in a larger degree around mid-January for a couple of weeks. Then last week, we had almost a full week of range-bound action before bullish continuation. Yesterday (1/30), the EUR/USD was again trading sideways showing resistance around 1.3585/90, while setting up support at 1.3540, with another support pivot near 1.3530.
Breakout scenarios: The 1/31 price action set up the support and is showing some pressure towards the consolidation range high. If it breaks it, it continues the bullish trend toward 1.36 handle and beyond. You can tell its in a bull trend by looking at the price action, RSI dynamic, and the alignment moving averages.In the bullish break scenario, you can use the width of the range as a conventional temporary target, which would project to 1.3630-40.
However, a fall back below 1.3530 could be a sign of some correction ahead. In the bearish break scenario, we are looking at last week's consolidation range as a target/support to test, down tot he 200-hour SMA, which sits above teh 1.34 handle, near last week's consolidation lows.
Fan Yang CMT is a forex trader, analyst, educator and Chief Technical Strategist for FXTimes - provider of Forex News, Analysis, Education, Videos, Charts, and other trading resources.
Information and opinions contained in this report are for educational purposes only and do not constitute an investment advice. While the information contained herein was obtained from sources believed to be reliable, author does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness. FXTimes will not accept liability for any loss of profit or damage which may arise directly, indirectly or consequently from use of or reliance on the trading set-ups or any accompanying chart analysis.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown