The Energy Report - February Fireworks!
By Phil Flynn | February 1, 2013 1:27 AM EST
Forget the fact the gasoline supplies surprisingly rose on the East Coast in yesterdays Energy Information Administration supply report, it seems that talk of a gasoline squeeze play kept the RBOB rocking! An Explosive move to the upside and the expiration of the February contract means that we could see another explosive move.
Overall gas supply came in nationally as expected with a draw of 956,000 barrels yet there was still some surprises. On the East Coast or pad 1 gas supply actually rose by 1.24 million barrels but that was not enough to cool the talk that some buyers were caught short of supply and will have to buy into a heavily bid market place. Besides even with the East coast build supply is still 10 percent below the five year average.
Crude supply surged with big builds on both the East and West and Gulf Coasts. Most think the build won't last and it failed to damper enthusiasm especially because the RBOB market was strong. Yet it was a surprising increase in refinery runs of 1.4% that had some heads scratch especially because of all of the reports of refinery maintenance and turmoil.
What did dampen enthusiasm was the US GDP that fell 0.1% in the fourth quarter. While shocked traders soon said that the numbers were an aberration they still raised concerns. Consumer spending was strong despite all of the fiscal cliff negotiation nonsense. We saw a large drop in defense spending, which declined at an annual rate of 22.2 per cent, the biggest fall since 1972 and that in you have large part explains a big part of the drop. Add in Hurricane Sandy. Still after the drop there was no way that the Fed could suggest that QE would be ending anytime soon. While the Fed said that the pullback in growth would be temporary they sent a strong signal that QE would not end as long as inflation stayed somewhat below 2%. Fed Fund Futures pushed back expectations of a rate increase to mid 2014 after the July of 2014 meeting.
Geo-political concerns are also still high after Israeli warplanes carried out an airstrike inside Syrian territory. It was reported that the target was a convoy that was carrying sophisticated antiaircraft weapons that was being sent to Hezbollah in Lebanon. We called the lows in oil in December and despite the recent run up a correction is getting closer. If you are buying here for the last buck or 2 make sure you protect your downside with some puts.
Open a Trading Account in 15 minutes - Call me at 888-264-5665
Here is the link to apply online: https://newaccount.admis.com/?office=269
Here is the PDF version: http://www.pricegroup.com/ADMIS/ADMIS%20Account%20Application.pdf
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday November 26, 2014
- Experts Say Rio Tinto-Glencore Merger Is Inevitable; Iron Ore Price Drops Below $70
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning November 26, 2014
- Global Markets Overview – November 26, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday November 25, 2014
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]