Kate Middleton a Romanian in Disguise? UK Anti-Immigration Campaign Mocked by Gandul Website
By Umberto Bacchi | January 31, 2013 11:59 PM EST
Proposals by Whitehall to scare off potential Eastern European immigrants moving to the UK has sparked a jokey campaign by an online newspaper in Romania.
Instead of closing the doors to British visitors, as the UK government is considering for migrants from Romania and Bulgaria, Bucharest-based Gandul.info has thrown them wide open.
"We might not like Britain, but you will love Romania," the campaign slogan reads. "Why don't you come over?"
"Half of our women look like Kate. The other half like her sister," says an advertising banner in the series.
"Our draft beer is less expensive than your bottled water," claims another.
"We don't have a congestion charge here. We believe the congestion is punishment enough," reads a third.
Gandul's campaign was launched after British government ministers were said to be considering running a negative public information campaign to discourage immigration from Romania and Bulgaria.
"It is a bit disconcerting to see yet another piece of news that builds on the idea that Romanians are the No 1 problem on the agenda," Gandul's campaign creative director Mihai Gongu told media outfit RFLRE.
"We felt we owe it to the tens of thousands of decent tax-paying Romanians who live in the UK and the millions at home to do something about it."
On December 31, 2013, restrictions on the number of Romanians and Bulgarians allowed into the UK will be lifted and authorities have warned that a major influx of immigrants will follow.
Ministers said that adverts focusing on the downside of life in the UK would "correct the impression that the streets here are paved with gold".
The Guardian asked its readers to come up with spoof slogans for the British campaign. Most of them denigrated British politics and the weather.
"Come here and clean the loo. Britain is full of horrible jobs we employ foreigners to do. You are welcome," one slogan reads.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales