Australia Seek All-Round Success on India Tour
January 31, 2013 8:53 PM EST
Australia have named a trio of unproven all-rounders in their test squad for the tour of India and thrown a life-line to discarded spinner Xavier Doherty as they scramble to find a winning combination ahead of back-to-back Ashes campaigns.
Following Mike Hussey's retirement, selectors have gambled on uncapped all-rounders Glenn Maxwell and Moises Henriques with the duo set to vie for the veteran batsman's number six spot during the four-test series starting next month.
Five-test all-rounder Steven Smith was also named in the 17-man squad released on Thursday, two years after being dumped in the wake of Australia's 2010-11 Ashes humbling by England on home soil.
Two-test Doherty, another casualty of that series, will be expected to provide support for fellow spinner Nathan Lyon in India, where Australia have not won a test since 2004.
The 24-year-old Maxwell and Henriques, 25, would provide flexibility for the team, according to selector John Inverarity.
"The squad includes a spin bowling all-rounder in Maxwell and a medium-fast all-rounder in Henriques," Inverarity said in a media release.
"In aiming for more depth in a bowling attack, the squad would allow for three pace bowlers, a leading spinner and Maxwell or two pace bowlers, the two spinners and Henriques. These are two of the options.
"Xavier Doherty also returns to the test squad. We certainly feel he is much improved in the longer format of the game since he made his test debut in 2010-11 against England."
Opening batsman David Warner has been named despite breaking a thumb during practice this week, and Inverarity said he was confident the hard-hitting 26-year-old would recover in time for the first test which starts February 22 in Chennai.
A year after being dropped following Australia's shock loss to New Zealand in Hobart, Pakistan-born batsman Usman Khawaja has a chance to add to his six tests, and has been named along with Phillip Hughes, the de facto replacement for retired former captain Ricky Ponting.
James Pattinson has been named in a five-man pace battery after missing most of the Australian summer with a rib injury, with Jackson Bird rewarded a place after taking 11 wickets in his first two tests against Sri Lanka.
The 26-year-old Bird will battle for selection with left-armers Mitchell Johnson and Mitchell Starc.
The squad will be effectively split into two, with one group to head to India earlier for warm-up matches and the second to stay in Australia for one-day games against West Indies.
Selectors will name the advance party on Saturday.
The teams play the second test in Hyderabad from March 2, with the third in Mohali (March 14) and the final match in Delhi (March 22).
Squad: Michael Clarke (captain), Shane Watson, David Warner, Ed Cowan, Phillip Hughes, Matthew Wade, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Starc, Mitchell Johnson, Jackson Bird, Xavier Doherty, Moises Henriques, Usman Khawaja, Glenn Maxwell, James Pattinson, Steve Smith, Peter Siddle.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown