Australian Runner John Steffensen Banned after Racial Allegations Dismissed
January 31, 2013 8:50 PM EST
Controversial 400 metre runner John Steffensen has been given a six-month suspension by Athletics Australia (AA) for bringing the sport into disrepute after an independent investigation dismissed his claims of racial vilification.
The suspension, Steffensen's second in two years, will run until August 1 meaning the 30-year-old will miss the chance to qualify for the August 10-18 World Championships in Moscow.
The 2006 Commonwealth Games gold medallist, born in Perth to South African parents, made the accusation prior to the London 2012 Olympics when Steve Solomon earned selection ahead of him despite Steffensen beating his teenage opponent in the trials.
Steffensen, who competed along with Solomon in the 4x400 metre relay in London, had also complained that AA chief executive Dallas O'Brien had lied to him about the reasons for selecting the younger runner.
AA said that an 'exhaustive independent investigation' had found no evidence of Steffensen's claims and opted for the punishment after an hour-long video link discussion with the athlete on Wednesday.
"The board took into account Steffensen's statements and also his previous three-month suspension in 2010 before unanimously determining that a six-month suspension was appropriate, considering the seriousness of the breaches," AA said in a statement.
Steffensen was banned in 2010 for abusing AA officials at a national championships and for comments he made when announcing he would not defend his Commonwealth Games title in New Delhi later that year.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools