EU's Barnier says U.S. should respect Basel III
January 31, 2013 8:35 PM EST
The United States should implement Basel III bank capital rules in the same way as Europe does, at the beginning of 2014, the European Union official in charge of regulation said.
"It is essential that the United States and Brasil and Russia apply the same rules that we decided together. It is a condition for world financial stability, not only for the G20, but for global stability," Michel Barnier, European Commissioner for financial services, told a conference on Thursday.
The comments confirmed that formal introduction of the rules, forcing banks to roughly triple how much capital they hold compared with pre-crisis levels, will be delayed a year in Europe from the January 2013 start the G20 had agreed.
EU states and the European Parliament are haggling over a law that implements Basel III in the 27-country bloc. Barnier said he expected agreement in coming weeks.
In November, U.S. regulators decided to delay formal introduction of Basel III because of "the wide range of views" among U.S. banks, concerned they would not be ready by this month.
So far, about 11 of the G20 economies have introduced Basel III, seen as the world's central regulatory response to the 2007-09 financial crisis that meant taxpayer in several countries had to rescue undercapitalized banks.
The EU is keen to synchronize the introduction of Basel III with the United States after it forged ahead to put its predecessor accord, Basel II, into law years before the United States followed suit.
(Reporting By John O'Donnell and Jan Strupczewski; Editing by Dan Lalor)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft