Liverpool Still Hold Hope Over Deal For English Youngster
By Vanessa Keller | January 31, 2013 7:14 PM EST
Brendan Rodgers still insists there is a chance that Liverpool can land Tom Ince before the clock strikes 11pm on deadline day, though he admits Blackpool are playing hardball in the hopes of keeping their young star.
Ince, who left Liverpool in 2011 but is now a confirmed target for the club, looked very close to making the move back to Merseyside at the start of the month, but a fee couldn't be agreed to.
The 21 year old is believed to also be fielding interest from Reading, but Rodgers believes that while a deal would be tough to do on the last day, there is still a possibility of a last minute move.
"I think it will be difficult now," he said, according to Sky Sports. "We could still do the deal but it looks like one that is a bit too complicated at this stage.
"It's about affordability as well. If Tom stays at Blackpool it doesn't mean he won't join Liverpool at a later stage."
It could be a more a realistic option for Liverpool to make a move for Ince in the summer, when the market isn't as typically overpriced as in January.
Rodgers made the comments after Liverpool confirmed the signing of Phillipe Coutinho, sealing a busy month in which they also added Daniel Sturridge to their books.
The Reds held off top four contenders Arsenal to take a 2-2 draw last night, and are currently seventh in the table.
Meanwhile, for Ince, the speculation surrounding his future will no doubt hit boiling point on deadline day. But Reading manager Brian McDermott thinks he'll stay at Blackpool for now at least.
"Thomas won't be coming here," McDermott explained. "Blackpool are very strong about wanting to keep him. I'd be amazed if Blackpool lose him in this window. My gut feeling is they've managed to keep him."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report