Liverpool Still Hold Hope Over Deal For English Youngster
By Vanessa Keller | January 31, 2013 7:14 PM EST
Brendan Rodgers still insists there is a chance that Liverpool can land Tom Ince before the clock strikes 11pm on deadline day, though he admits Blackpool are playing hardball in the hopes of keeping their young star.
Ince, who left Liverpool in 2011 but is now a confirmed target for the club, looked very close to making the move back to Merseyside at the start of the month, but a fee couldn't be agreed to.
The 21 year old is believed to also be fielding interest from Reading, but Rodgers believes that while a deal would be tough to do on the last day, there is still a possibility of a last minute move.
"I think it will be difficult now," he said, according to Sky Sports. "We could still do the deal but it looks like one that is a bit too complicated at this stage.
"It's about affordability as well. If Tom stays at Blackpool it doesn't mean he won't join Liverpool at a later stage."
It could be a more a realistic option for Liverpool to make a move for Ince in the summer, when the market isn't as typically overpriced as in January.
Rodgers made the comments after Liverpool confirmed the signing of Phillipe Coutinho, sealing a busy month in which they also added Daniel Sturridge to their books.
The Reds held off top four contenders Arsenal to take a 2-2 draw last night, and are currently seventh in the table.
Meanwhile, for Ince, the speculation surrounding his future will no doubt hit boiling point on deadline day. But Reading manager Brian McDermott thinks he'll stay at Blackpool for now at least.
"Thomas won't be coming here," McDermott explained. "Blackpool are very strong about wanting to keep him. I'd be amazed if Blackpool lose him in this window. My gut feeling is they've managed to keep him."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes