Liverpool Still Hold Hope Over Deal For English Youngster
By Vanessa Keller | January 31, 2013 7:14 PM EST
Brendan Rodgers still insists there is a chance that Liverpool can land Tom Ince before the clock strikes 11pm on deadline day, though he admits Blackpool are playing hardball in the hopes of keeping their young star.
Ince, who left Liverpool in 2011 but is now a confirmed target for the club, looked very close to making the move back to Merseyside at the start of the month, but a fee couldn't be agreed to.
The 21 year old is believed to also be fielding interest from Reading, but Rodgers believes that while a deal would be tough to do on the last day, there is still a possibility of a last minute move.
"I think it will be difficult now," he said, according to Sky Sports. "We could still do the deal but it looks like one that is a bit too complicated at this stage.
"It's about affordability as well. If Tom stays at Blackpool it doesn't mean he won't join Liverpool at a later stage."
It could be a more a realistic option for Liverpool to make a move for Ince in the summer, when the market isn't as typically overpriced as in January.
Rodgers made the comments after Liverpool confirmed the signing of Phillipe Coutinho, sealing a busy month in which they also added Daniel Sturridge to their books.
The Reds held off top four contenders Arsenal to take a 2-2 draw last night, and are currently seventh in the table.
Meanwhile, for Ince, the speculation surrounding his future will no doubt hit boiling point on deadline day. But Reading manager Brian McDermott thinks he'll stay at Blackpool for now at least.
"Thomas won't be coming here," McDermott explained. "Blackpool are very strong about wanting to keep him. I'd be amazed if Blackpool lose him in this window. My gut feeling is they've managed to keep him."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon