Liverpool Still Hold Hope Over Deal For English Youngster
By Vanessa Keller | January 31, 2013 7:14 PM EST
Brendan Rodgers still insists there is a chance that Liverpool can land Tom Ince before the clock strikes 11pm on deadline day, though he admits Blackpool are playing hardball in the hopes of keeping their young star.
Ince, who left Liverpool in 2011 but is now a confirmed target for the club, looked very close to making the move back to Merseyside at the start of the month, but a fee couldn't be agreed to.
The 21 year old is believed to also be fielding interest from Reading, but Rodgers believes that while a deal would be tough to do on the last day, there is still a possibility of a last minute move.
"I think it will be difficult now," he said, according to Sky Sports. "We could still do the deal but it looks like one that is a bit too complicated at this stage.
"It's about affordability as well. If Tom stays at Blackpool it doesn't mean he won't join Liverpool at a later stage."
It could be a more a realistic option for Liverpool to make a move for Ince in the summer, when the market isn't as typically overpriced as in January.
Rodgers made the comments after Liverpool confirmed the signing of Phillipe Coutinho, sealing a busy month in which they also added Daniel Sturridge to their books.
The Reds held off top four contenders Arsenal to take a 2-2 draw last night, and are currently seventh in the table.
Meanwhile, for Ince, the speculation surrounding his future will no doubt hit boiling point on deadline day. But Reading manager Brian McDermott thinks he'll stay at Blackpool for now at least.
"Thomas won't be coming here," McDermott explained. "Blackpool are very strong about wanting to keep him. I'd be amazed if Blackpool lose him in this window. My gut feeling is they've managed to keep him."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions