Liverpool Still Hold Hope Over Deal For English Youngster
By Vanessa Keller | January 31, 2013 7:14 PM EST
Brendan Rodgers still insists there is a chance that Liverpool can land Tom Ince before the clock strikes 11pm on deadline day, though he admits Blackpool are playing hardball in the hopes of keeping their young star.
Ince, who left Liverpool in 2011 but is now a confirmed target for the club, looked very close to making the move back to Merseyside at the start of the month, but a fee couldn't be agreed to.
The 21 year old is believed to also be fielding interest from Reading, but Rodgers believes that while a deal would be tough to do on the last day, there is still a possibility of a last minute move.
"I think it will be difficult now," he said, according to Sky Sports. "We could still do the deal but it looks like one that is a bit too complicated at this stage.
"It's about affordability as well. If Tom stays at Blackpool it doesn't mean he won't join Liverpool at a later stage."
It could be a more a realistic option for Liverpool to make a move for Ince in the summer, when the market isn't as typically overpriced as in January.
Rodgers made the comments after Liverpool confirmed the signing of Phillipe Coutinho, sealing a busy month in which they also added Daniel Sturridge to their books.
The Reds held off top four contenders Arsenal to take a 2-2 draw last night, and are currently seventh in the table.
Meanwhile, for Ince, the speculation surrounding his future will no doubt hit boiling point on deadline day. But Reading manager Brian McDermott thinks he'll stay at Blackpool for now at least.
"Thomas won't be coming here," McDermott explained. "Blackpool are very strong about wanting to keep him. I'd be amazed if Blackpool lose him in this window. My gut feeling is they've managed to keep him."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Blows Out Novak Djokovic as Top Contender For US Open Series – Tennis TV Poll
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide