Tottenham Not In Market For Arsenal's Spanish Striker Target
By Vanessa Keller | January 31, 2013 7:14 PM EST
Andre Villas-Boas has insisted that Tottenham are not in the market for David Villa, with the Arsenal striker target looking set to stay at Barcelona until at least the end of the season.
Villa has struggled for game time at Barcelona over the past campaign, and as a result the Spain international has been placed high on the list of multiple Premier League clubs.
Arsenal are believed to be chasing the star, after letting Marouane Chamakh go on loan and looking to increase their attacking options as the season hits the business end, and Wenger hinted that the north London club had talked about a deal.
"If somebody is not for sale you expect other clubs not to try and buy him," he said.
"Barcelona don't want to sell David Villa and have made it clear."
While Tottenham had also been connected with a possible deal for Villa, as a cover for the fragile Jermaine Defoe, Villas-Boas insists that the club don't need a striker and haven't been in the market for the 31 year old.
"David Villa? No, I don't think so!" Villas-Boas told Sky Sports.
"At the moment I have told you that we are willing to take a risk on Jermain Defoe's injury. Defoe played 90 minutes and played very well.
With deadline day arriving, he also added: "No, I don't think so [there will be any players leaving]."
The comments were made after Tottenham came back from 1-0 down to Norwich to rescue a point last night, courtesy of a brilliant goal from Gareth Bale.
Spurs are currently fourth on the table, but Everton and Arsenal are putting maximum pressure on the side to keep hold of their coveted spot.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2