Tottenham Not In Market For Arsenal's Spanish Striker Target
By Vanessa Keller | January 31, 2013 7:14 PM EST
Andre Villas-Boas has insisted that Tottenham are not in the market for David Villa, with the Arsenal striker target looking set to stay at Barcelona until at least the end of the season.
Villa has struggled for game time at Barcelona over the past campaign, and as a result the Spain international has been placed high on the list of multiple Premier League clubs.
Arsenal are believed to be chasing the star, after letting Marouane Chamakh go on loan and looking to increase their attacking options as the season hits the business end, and Wenger hinted that the north London club had talked about a deal.
"If somebody is not for sale you expect other clubs not to try and buy him," he said.
"Barcelona don't want to sell David Villa and have made it clear."
While Tottenham had also been connected with a possible deal for Villa, as a cover for the fragile Jermaine Defoe, Villas-Boas insists that the club don't need a striker and haven't been in the market for the 31 year old.
"David Villa? No, I don't think so!" Villas-Boas told Sky Sports.
"At the moment I have told you that we are willing to take a risk on Jermain Defoe's injury. Defoe played 90 minutes and played very well.
With deadline day arriving, he also added: "No, I don't think so [there will be any players leaving]."
The comments were made after Tottenham came back from 1-0 down to Norwich to rescue a point last night, courtesy of a brilliant goal from Gareth Bale.
Spurs are currently fourth on the table, but Everton and Arsenal are putting maximum pressure on the side to keep hold of their coveted spot.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar