Tottenham Not In Market For Arsenal's Spanish Striker Target
By Vanessa Keller | January 31, 2013 7:14 PM EST
Andre Villas-Boas has insisted that Tottenham are not in the market for David Villa, with the Arsenal striker target looking set to stay at Barcelona until at least the end of the season.
Villa has struggled for game time at Barcelona over the past campaign, and as a result the Spain international has been placed high on the list of multiple Premier League clubs.
Arsenal are believed to be chasing the star, after letting Marouane Chamakh go on loan and looking to increase their attacking options as the season hits the business end, and Wenger hinted that the north London club had talked about a deal.
"If somebody is not for sale you expect other clubs not to try and buy him," he said.
"Barcelona don't want to sell David Villa and have made it clear."
While Tottenham had also been connected with a possible deal for Villa, as a cover for the fragile Jermaine Defoe, Villas-Boas insists that the club don't need a striker and haven't been in the market for the 31 year old.
"David Villa? No, I don't think so!" Villas-Boas told Sky Sports.
"At the moment I have told you that we are willing to take a risk on Jermain Defoe's injury. Defoe played 90 minutes and played very well.
With deadline day arriving, he also added: "No, I don't think so [there will be any players leaving]."
The comments were made after Tottenham came back from 1-0 down to Norwich to rescue a point last night, courtesy of a brilliant goal from Gareth Bale.
Spurs are currently fourth on the table, but Everton and Arsenal are putting maximum pressure on the side to keep hold of their coveted spot.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet