Tottenham Not In Market For Arsenal's Spanish Striker Target
By Vanessa Keller | January 31, 2013 7:14 PM EST
Andre Villas-Boas has insisted that Tottenham are not in the market for David Villa, with the Arsenal striker target looking set to stay at Barcelona until at least the end of the season.
Villa has struggled for game time at Barcelona over the past campaign, and as a result the Spain international has been placed high on the list of multiple Premier League clubs.
Arsenal are believed to be chasing the star, after letting Marouane Chamakh go on loan and looking to increase their attacking options as the season hits the business end, and Wenger hinted that the north London club had talked about a deal.
"If somebody is not for sale you expect other clubs not to try and buy him," he said.
"Barcelona don't want to sell David Villa and have made it clear."
While Tottenham had also been connected with a possible deal for Villa, as a cover for the fragile Jermaine Defoe, Villas-Boas insists that the club don't need a striker and haven't been in the market for the 31 year old.
"David Villa? No, I don't think so!" Villas-Boas told Sky Sports.
"At the moment I have told you that we are willing to take a risk on Jermain Defoe's injury. Defoe played 90 minutes and played very well.
With deadline day arriving, he also added: "No, I don't think so [there will be any players leaving]."
The comments were made after Tottenham came back from 1-0 down to Norwich to rescue a point last night, courtesy of a brilliant goal from Gareth Bale.
Spurs are currently fourth on the table, but Everton and Arsenal are putting maximum pressure on the side to keep hold of their coveted spot.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal