Rank Group Profits Fall, Says January Snow May Cost £3m
By Shane Croucher | January 31, 2013 7:11 PM EST
Rank Group PLC, the British bingo hall and casino firm, said it will likely take a £3m revenue hit because the heavy snowfall in January kept customers at home.
Shares in the group fell by around 1.5 percent in early London trading to change hands at 150.62 pence each.
The Mecca Bingo and Gala Casinos owner also reported a 4 percent fall in profit before tax for its half year to December 31 to £31.3m, blaming marketing layouts for its online gambling arm Blue Square Bet and higher operating costs for its bingo halls.
Group revenue was up 5 percent to £312m.
"Our focus remains on generating sustainable returns for our shareholders," said Ian Burke, Rank's chief executive.
"Allowing for the slow start to the second half we remain confident in our prospects for the remainder of the year and in our longer-term growth strategy."
Rank also said it is expecting a decision from the Competition Commission on February 20 on whether it is allowed to buy the casino business of Gala Coral.
The deal, if regulators approve it, will be worth £205m.
Competition Commission officials said in a preliminary report that Rank may have to sell six of its casinos to get the deal through them.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers