Santander Profits Plunge After €18.8bn Spanish Property Writedown
By Martin Baccardax | January 31, 2013 7:04 PM EST
Banco Santander said its full year profits fell by more than half after Spain's biggest lender marked down the value of billions in property loans and saw slowing business in its key Latin American markets.
Profit fell 59 percent to €2.205bn (£1.89bn; $2.99bn), the bank said in a statement published on its website. The Eurozone's biggest property lender said it set aside €18.8bn to cover losses on soured real estate loans.
The ratio of bad debts in its portfolio was 4.54 percent as of 31 December, slightly lower than the national average for Spanish lenders of 6.74 percent. Group revenues for the full year were €43.657bn
"Profits reached a turning point in 2012," said Santander Chairman Emilo Botin in the statement. "In 2013, with the exceptional write-offs behind us, we should see a marked increase in earnings, based on the group's recurrent revenues and cost control."
The bank's exposure to Spanish real estate was reduced to €12.5bn, the statement said, from around €24.9bn in 2011, after shifting more than 33,500 properties over the course of the year.
Its so-called core tier one capital ratio, a measure of the amount of capital the bank needs to set aside to protect savers and shareholders from potential losses, improved by 0.3 percent to 10.33 percent.
Profits from its operations in Latin America, which contribute around half of the bank's bottom line, fell by 8 percent to €4.305bn for the full year, Santander said. European profits were down 2 percent to €2.32bn while UK profits fell 4 percent to €1.175bn.
Santander shares fell nearly 3 percent in Madrid and were quoted at €6.215 each, a €0.185 decline from Wednesday's close.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How