Tottenham Transfer Rumour: Lyon Star Joins AVB's Striker Shortlist
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 31, 2013 7:01 PM EST
Tottenham have stepped up interest in Lyon forward Bafétimbi Gomis, according to the Telegraph. The report states Andre Villas-Boas is considering the £7m-rated Frenchman as an alternative to Brazil's Leandro Damiao and Spain's Alvaro Negredo. Gomis, 27, has had an excellent career so far at the Stade Gerland, with 46 goals and 13 assists in 130 Ligue 1 appearances since his transfer from St Etienne in 2009.
Spurs have been linked to Damiao for quite some time now but an agreement with Brazilian club Internacional, over the £20m forward has been difficult to reach. Damiao's contract expires in 2015.
Meanwhile, AVB has also been linked to Real Madrid youth product Negredo. The 27-year-old was believed to be close to signing a four-and-a-half year deal with Spurs for £70,000 per week but no such deal was announced.
Tottenham are believed to want Damiao as first choice but will settle for Gomis if deals for the Brazilian and Spaniard do not materialise. AVB is aware he needs reinforcements up front; the club, presently, has only England international Jermain Defoe and Togolese forward Emmanuel Adebayor. And of these two, Adebayor is away with his country at the 2013 African Cup of Nations and Defoe has only just recovered from a pelvic injury.
The club's 1-1 draw at Carrow Road, where they needed Welshman Gareth Bale to score in the final ten minutes to rescue a point, further highlights Spurs' need for offensive cover. And this issue will certainly become more important as the season winds down and the north London club attempt to protect their fourth place and the promise of Champions League football.
Spurs will have to fight for Gomis though. Lyon are presently joint-leaders of the French league, with Paris St Germain (PSG) and will be loathe to lose one of their most consistent strikers.
Interestingly, Spurs have been drawn to play Lyon in the first knock-out round of the 2013 UEFA Europa League. The first leg is to be played on 14 February, at White Hart Lane, and the return is scheduled for the following week.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales