Tottenham Transfer Rumour: Lyon Star Joins AVB's Striker Shortlist
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 31, 2013 7:01 PM EST
Tottenham have stepped up interest in Lyon forward Bafétimbi Gomis, according to the Telegraph. The report states Andre Villas-Boas is considering the £7m-rated Frenchman as an alternative to Brazil's Leandro Damiao and Spain's Alvaro Negredo. Gomis, 27, has had an excellent career so far at the Stade Gerland, with 46 goals and 13 assists in 130 Ligue 1 appearances since his transfer from St Etienne in 2009.
Spurs have been linked to Damiao for quite some time now but an agreement with Brazilian club Internacional, over the £20m forward has been difficult to reach. Damiao's contract expires in 2015.
Meanwhile, AVB has also been linked to Real Madrid youth product Negredo. The 27-year-old was believed to be close to signing a four-and-a-half year deal with Spurs for £70,000 per week but no such deal was announced.
Tottenham are believed to want Damiao as first choice but will settle for Gomis if deals for the Brazilian and Spaniard do not materialise. AVB is aware he needs reinforcements up front; the club, presently, has only England international Jermain Defoe and Togolese forward Emmanuel Adebayor. And of these two, Adebayor is away with his country at the 2013 African Cup of Nations and Defoe has only just recovered from a pelvic injury.
The club's 1-1 draw at Carrow Road, where they needed Welshman Gareth Bale to score in the final ten minutes to rescue a point, further highlights Spurs' need for offensive cover. And this issue will certainly become more important as the season winds down and the north London club attempt to protect their fourth place and the promise of Champions League football.
Spurs will have to fight for Gomis though. Lyon are presently joint-leaders of the French league, with Paris St Germain (PSG) and will be loathe to lose one of their most consistent strikers.
Interestingly, Spurs have been drawn to play Lyon in the first knock-out round of the 2013 UEFA Europa League. The first leg is to be played on 14 February, at White Hart Lane, and the return is scheduled for the following week.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border