Pakistan Agency Rewarded Hemraj Singh’s Killer ₹5 Lakh: Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 31, 2013 6:38 PM EST
The mutilated bodies of two Indian soldiers - Lance Naik Hemraj Singh and Lance Naik Sudhakar Singh - were found in Mendhar sector of the Jammu and Kashmir state following an intense cross-border firing on Jan 8.
Pakistan had denied any role in the brutal incident which almost derailed the peace talks between the two countries. A Military Intelligence (MI) report accessed by the Times of India, dismissed Pakistan's claims saying that the ISI masterminded the killings.
According to the report, ISI subedar Jabbar Khan, belonging to a unit in Pakistan-administered Tattapani, led the15-member team from terror outfits Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) in carrying out the operation.
The report said that beheading of the Indian soldier was done by Anwar Khan, who runs a shop in Barmoch Gali in PoK. Colonel Siddiqui of ISI reportedly rewarded him ₹5 lakh for the act. Anwar Khan was also responsible for beheading an Indian Army captain in KG Brigade in the same Mendhar area in 1996.
Senior ISI officers had a meeting with terrorist commanders and several guides familiar with the topography of the area a few days before the attack, said the report.
"During the meeting, it was decided that local guides aware of the topography of the area would facilitate terrorist groups not only in infiltration along the LoC in Poonch district but also assist in operations by BATs (Border Action Teams). For this a reward of Rs 5,000 for planting of a mine on Indian soil, Rs 10,000 for killing an Indian Army soldier in sniper fire and Rs 5 lakh for beheading an Army jawan was announced. For each of these BAT operations, the guide would be rewarded Rs 2,000 to Rs 12,000," said the report published by TOI.
The brutal incident almost pushed the peace talk between the India and Pakistan off the track.
Pakistan Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar and the country's High Commissioner to India Salman Bashir had offered minister-level talks to defuse the tension but India had not given the nod yet. After a recent Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) meeting, it was decided that India will not respond to Khar's offer and that talks could be held at a much lower official level.
Congress party president Sonia Gandhi had talked tough on Pakistan's talk offer saying that dialogue between the countries should be based on "accepted principles of civilised behaviour."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- ‘Drunk Girl in Public' Actress Apologises; Actor Tells Dr. Drew He Thought It Was Comedy Skit
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports