House prices rise more than forecast in January -Nationwide
January 31, 2013 6:14 PM EST
LONDON - British house prices rose more than expected this month compared with December and stopped their annual decline, helped by the central bank's scheme to boost lending, mortgage lender Nationwide said on Thursday.
Nationwide data showed that house prices ticked up 0.5 percent on the month after a slightly upwardly revised flat reading in December.
Compared with January 2012, prices were unchanged, avoiding a decline for the first time since last February.
Both the monthly and the annual figures were better than forecast by analysts.
"While activity in the housing market remains muted by historic standards, there have been tentative signs of a pick-up in activity in recent months," said Nationwide's chief economist Robert Gardner.
"The Funding for Lending Scheme has achieved some success in bringing down mortgage rates, with some signs of a pick-up in lending activity," he added.
The scheme, which came into effect in August, allows banks and building societies to access more than 80 billion pounds in cheap finance if they maintain or increase net lending to households and businesses.
"Hopefully, the momentum will continue to build in the months ahead, though much will depend on whether the wider economic environment improves," Gardner said.
Bank of England data for last month showed the highest number of mortgages approved since January 2012, and the biggest increase in net mortgage lending since April - a rare sign of confidence in an otherwise flagging economy.
Britain's economy shrank more than expected at the end of 2012, with a slump in oil production, lower factory output and a hangover from the London Olympics pushing it to the brink of its third recession since 2008.
(Reporting by Olesya Dmitracova; Editing by Ruth Pitchford)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report