49ers Chris Culliver Apologize for Anti-Gay Comments
By Czarina Malleta | January 31, 2013 4:39 PM EST
Chris Culliver faced protests for his anti-gay comment. Now, 49ers cornerback says he's sorry during a Super Bowl media day interview.
During an interview last Tuesday with a comedian Artie Lange, Culliver answered a supposed to be funny question by saying he will not welcome a gay player in the locker room. He added that the 49ers didn't have gay players and if they do have one, then the player should leave.
His comments which were intended to be funny created a frenzy over the gay community. Upon realizing the damage that was made, Culliver cleared out the issue and apologized to those he might have offended.
''The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel,'' Culliver said. ''It has taken me seeing them in print to realize that they are hurtful and ugly. Those discriminating feelings are truly not in my heart. Further, I apologize to those who I have hurt and offended, and I pledge to learn and grow from this experience.''
A team representative said that the 49ers have rejected the comment and have addressed Culliver privately. However, they didn't give details whether the cornerback would face disciplinary actions or pay a fine.
''The San Francisco 49ers reject the comments that were made yesterday, and have addressed the matter with Chris. There is no place for discrimination within our organization at any level. We have and always will proudly support the LGBT community," a statement from the San Francisco 49ers read.
According to his representative, Theodore Palmer, Culliver also plans to address his remarks and sort everything out during a press conference on Thursday morning.
The 24-year-old player is a third-round draft pick in 2011 from South Carolina. He also participates in NFL's "It Gets Better" campaign against bullying.
Three LGBT communities namely, Athlete Ally, You Can Play and GLAAD have already reacted to Culliver's comments, but later accepted his apology.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy