49ers Chris Culliver Apologize for Anti-Gay Comments
By Czarina Malleta | January 31, 2013 4:39 PM EST
Chris Culliver faced protests for his anti-gay comment. Now, 49ers cornerback says he's sorry during a Super Bowl media day interview.
During an interview last Tuesday with a comedian Artie Lange, Culliver answered a supposed to be funny question by saying he will not welcome a gay player in the locker room. He added that the 49ers didn't have gay players and if they do have one, then the player should leave.
His comments which were intended to be funny created a frenzy over the gay community. Upon realizing the damage that was made, Culliver cleared out the issue and apologized to those he might have offended.
''The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel,'' Culliver said. ''It has taken me seeing them in print to realize that they are hurtful and ugly. Those discriminating feelings are truly not in my heart. Further, I apologize to those who I have hurt and offended, and I pledge to learn and grow from this experience.''
A team representative said that the 49ers have rejected the comment and have addressed Culliver privately. However, they didn't give details whether the cornerback would face disciplinary actions or pay a fine.
''The San Francisco 49ers reject the comments that were made yesterday, and have addressed the matter with Chris. There is no place for discrimination within our organization at any level. We have and always will proudly support the LGBT community," a statement from the San Francisco 49ers read.
According to his representative, Theodore Palmer, Culliver also plans to address his remarks and sort everything out during a press conference on Thursday morning.
The 24-year-old player is a third-round draft pick in 2011 from South Carolina. He also participates in NFL's "It Gets Better" campaign against bullying.
Three LGBT communities namely, Athlete Ally, You Can Play and GLAAD have already reacted to Culliver's comments, but later accepted his apology.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Door Is Open For Brock Lesnar To Make UFC Return -- Dana White
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899