Wild Monkeys Attack Indonesian Village, Injuring 7
By Charles Poladian | January 31, 2013 2:45 PM EST
A group of wild monkeys are wreaking havoc on an Indonesian village. In the latest attack seven people have been injured, local media report.
The monkeys have been attacking the Indonesian village of Toddang Pulu in the Sidendeng Rappang District of South Sulawesi province, reports The Jakarta Post. Approximately 10 monkeys attacked the village and proceeded to enter homes, biting and clawing at people.
It is unclear what caused the monkeys to ransack the village. Ambo Ella, a local official, told the Post the monkey attack was not the result of habitat loss. Ella said the villagers respect the jungle and have not cleared it and still conduct rituals in the woods. Ella said the monkeys are normally fearful of humans and will run away whenever they hear human voices, reports The Associated Press.
Of the seven victims of the monkey attack, one 16-year-old boy was critically wounded, reports AP. The boy is being treated for bite wounds at a hospital.
While these monkey attacks are not common, they do occur. In July 2012, a group of monkeys attacked a Malaysian village, reports New Straits Times of Singapore. In that attack, three people were injured.
In some tourist areas of Indonesia, monkeys frequently interact with humans and an attack can occur for various reasons. A quick YouTube search gives plenty of examples of individuals in Bali, Thailand, China, Mexico, Laos and India being attacked by monkeys. There are other videos depicting monkey attacks at zoos.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal