Great White Shark Spotted Off Hamptons; Real-Life Jaws In Long Island Waters
By Maria Vultaggio | January 31, 2013 2:23 PM EST
A real-life “Jaws” was reportedly spotted off the Hamptons on Wednesday, according to Southampton Patch.
The great white shark who had been dubbed Mary Lee was tagged by the nonprofit organization OCEARCH after being spotted in September of 2012 of the coast of Cape Cod.
The giant fish made her way down to Saint Augustine, Fla., according to OCEARCH’s map, but as of Tuesday she was recorded to be off the coast of Quogue, Long Island, N.Y.
The foundation told Patch that the great white had started to swim east on Wednesday and was 40 to 45 nautical miles off Montauk Point.
There’s no need for Long Islanders to worry, since the shark is swimming away from the coast, Petty Officer Patrick Rogers at Coast Guard Station Shinnecock explained to Southampton Patch.
Rogers said it was the first time he had ever heard of a great white in Long Island waters.
OCEARCH's founding chairman, Chris Fischer, reportedly named Mary Lee after his mother.
The website quoted Fischer talking about the 16-foot, 3,456-pound carcharodon carcharias:
“My parents have done so much. I was waiting and waiting for a special shark to name after her, and this is truly the most historic and legendary fish I have ever been a part of.”
Fischer hopes tagging the large sharks will alter the fearsome image propagated by the Steven Speilberg blockbuster.
"We hope people become more enlightened and a conversation is started, especially since we opened up this tracker for the world to see," Southampton Patch quoted Fischer. "When we think of a great white, we usually think of 'Jaws' music, but now people are asking what is she doing? Where is she going?"
Mary Lee’s real time travels can be seen by clicking here, courtesy of OCEARCH. Hopefully swimmers won’t have to worry about getting “a bigger boat.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories