Samsung’s Galaxy S4 Will Skip Out 2013 MWC
By Erik Pineda | January 31, 2013 12:15 PM EST
Samsung's Galaxy S4 will be a no-show at the 2013 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona next month, a new report said, but the South Korean will remain an active participant in the annual tech event, showing off other gadget products.
Citing sources it described as privy to Samsung's mobile division plans, tech blog site Pocket Lint confirmed that the company will skip out on its usual news briefing for the 2013 MWC, seen by tech experts as the likely platform for the much-awaited preview of the Galaxy S4.
"The company won't in fact, we've been told, be holding any official unveiling event in Barcelona, but will have a presence on the show floor," Pocket Lint's Stuart Miles said in his report.
Somehow, the report followed through on earlier suggestions that the Galaxy S4, now widely regarded as the main rival of Apple's iPhone 5, will hit global markets using an event that Samsung has especially arranged for its flagship smartphone.
Blog reports picked up 'solid hints' that pointed to the staging of Samsung Unpacked, tentatively scheduled for March 22 and to be followed by the S4's official release on April 15, a month earlier than the Galaxy S3 2012 debut.
Pocket Lint noted too that with the 'Samsung pull out', this year's MWC gadget showcase stands to lose major attractions following HTC's confirmation that it hold a major press conference ahead of the trade show in Spain.
That would mean HTC's rumoured high-end smartphone, the M7, will be introduced to global consumers outside of MWC. Per the Taiwanese firm, press events for its new products will be held on Feb 19 in London and New York.
Samsung's change of plan is read by analysts as the company's way of giving the deserved emphasis for the Galaxy S4, which will replace the Galaxy S3.
The S3, along with the Galaxy Note 2, played pivotal roles that allowed Samsung to clock sales of more than 60 million Galaxy handsets in Q4 2012, also realising for the tech giant profits of over $US7 billion in the consumer electronics segment alone.
With rumoured features of a 4.99-inch 1080P Super AMOLED Full HD display, a quad-core 1.8GHz Exynos Octa processor and a 13MP main camera shooter, Samsung's Galaxy S4 is expected to sustain the incredible run of the Galaxy S series smartphones.
To date, over 100 million units of Galaxy S devices have been sold worldwide, Samsung said, with both the Galaxy S2 and the Galaxy S3 each registering sales of more than 40 million units.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- Biggest Australian IPO in 4 Years as Healthscope Could Raises $2.12 Billion
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- MH17: ‘Trademark Trolls’ Make Profit Out of the Tragedy
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports