Is the World Serious About Smoking Bans? 10 Memes, 5 Parodies Say Otherwise
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 31, 2013 11:53 AM EST
The mayor of a city, where a very tough smoking ban law is being proposed, expressed apprehension over becoming the laughing stock of the world over fears that the measure could not be enforced.
The mayor is not without basis as records show that in many nations that had banned smoking in public places, people continue to light up and get away with the bad and unhealthy habit because the laws are not strictly implemented.
While the respective legislative bodies of these nations were no doubt serious in their attempt to protect their citizens from second-hand smoke, smokers, business owners and even meme and parody makers make light of the situation.
For instance, smokers are often willing to turn a blind eye to the health hazards posed by their habit
that they just need a nicotine fix wherever they are
Governments, however, are not giving up easily
amid the strong lobby against wider smoking bans
One reason behind the weaker implementation is that the top guns have smoking gun evidence of them engaged in the vice.
The other one is the revenue-raising potential of tobacco products.
Among those against wider smoking ban are Germany's most infamous citizen
of course, Americans
And just anybody who thinks smoking is cool. However, anti-smoking groups are not giving up the battle and came up with an anti-smoking boy band.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Doctor Denies Saying Aussie Radio Presenter Kyle Sandilands Only Has 6 Months to Live
- Online Porn Easy To Access: Research; Cameron Diaz Is A 'Porn Addict'
- Bride-To-Be Loses 57 Kilograms Before Wedding, Slimming World's Woman of the Year
- Seven Natural Ways to Fight Depression
- HIV Breakthrough: Tampon With An Anti-HIV Drug For Women
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members