Is the World Serious About Smoking Bans? 10 Memes, 5 Parodies Say Otherwise
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 31, 2013 11:53 AM EST
The mayor of a city, where a very tough smoking ban law is being proposed, expressed apprehension over becoming the laughing stock of the world over fears that the measure could not be enforced.
The mayor is not without basis as records show that in many nations that had banned smoking in public places, people continue to light up and get away with the bad and unhealthy habit because the laws are not strictly implemented.
While the respective legislative bodies of these nations were no doubt serious in their attempt to protect their citizens from second-hand smoke, smokers, business owners and even meme and parody makers make light of the situation.
For instance, smokers are often willing to turn a blind eye to the health hazards posed by their habit
that they just need a nicotine fix wherever they are
Governments, however, are not giving up easily
amid the strong lobby against wider smoking bans
One reason behind the weaker implementation is that the top guns have smoking gun evidence of them engaged in the vice.
The other one is the revenue-raising potential of tobacco products.
Among those against wider smoking ban are Germany's most infamous citizen
of course, Americans
And just anybody who thinks smoking is cool. However, anti-smoking groups are not giving up the battle and came up with an anti-smoking boy band.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- Dead Heart Beats Again, Doctors Use It For Transplant – A World’s First For Australia
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’