BlackBerry 10 Gears Up: Blackberry Z10 & Q10 Updates
By Gilda Galang | January 31, 2013 11:28 AM EST
It's a big week for BlackBerry 10 as Blackberry maker Research in Motion (RIM) aims to get back in the game after its successful launch of the Blackberry 10.
However, along with the launch of the two smartphones, there is a very noticeable change in the brand-RIM has already dropped its name to take up BlackBerry.
One brand: From RIM to BlackBerry
The Province reports this move as a wise decision that may bring risky consequences.
Considering the need for reinvention that BlackBerry needs to get back its market and attract other targets into the BlackBerry movement once more, merging the two brands and holding the stronger name BlackBerry is indeed, a good way to show how BlackBerry intends to penetrate the market: united and decisive.
Z10 and Q10: Phones to look forward to
At the launch, Sydney Morning Herald reports that more details about the BlackBerry smartphones have been revealed, both of which are now running on the new BlackBerry 10 OS.
The Z10, BlackBerry's take on the keyboard-less smartphone, has a unique interface where users navigate between apps using swiping gestures-in other words, say goodbye to the home button. It also runs on a 1.5 GHz dual-core processor, has 16GB worth of storage, and has 2 cameras, a 2 mega-pixel front camera and an 8 mega-pixel rear camera.
The BlackBerry Q10, on the other hand, has a physical keyboard resembling the BlackBerry Bold, a 720 x 720 display, and a glass-weave backplate that makes it thinner than regular plastic, reports IGN.
BlackBerry has also released that 70,000 to 100,000 apps will be made available on BlackBerry World, a record for first generation platform iterations, reports Sydney Morning Herald.
"We will be the platform launching with the highest number of apps on day one," said Frank Boulben, BlackBerry's Chief Marketing Officer told ABC News in an interview.
Carriers and release dates
PC Mag reports that the four major wireless carriers, Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mpbile, are expected to carry the Z10 and Q10, but release dates are yet to be announced. AT&T and Verizon have confirmed that they will carry the Z10 and Q10, while Sprint and T-Mobile have only confirmed carrying only one device, the Q10 and the Z10 respectively.
On its homepage, AT&T already has concrete offers on the Z10 and Q10, with the Z10 being the first BlackBerry smartphone that will run on the AT&T 4G LTE.
Announcements have already been made as to the global release dates. U.K. should expect the Z10 on February 1 and Canada on February 5. The LA Times reports that Z10 is expected to hit U.S. markets in March, while the Q10 is geared for the market by April, according to IGN.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Games: The Last of Us Remastered Photo Mode Leaked Shots; Halo: Master Chief Collection Detailed
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition Romance: Cassandra Pentaghast, Dorian, Cullen, Sera, Iron Bull and Josephine Montilyet
- The SIMS 4 Official System Requirements Reveal Low Spec Demands; Release Date on September 2
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXUFNF4 Firmware Manual Installation
- Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes Release Date, Features Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy Play Set
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]