Facebook's Zuckerberg: We're Not Going to Release a Phone
By Sam Mattera | January 31, 2013 10:49 AM EST
Facebook (NASDAQ: FB [FREE Stock Trend Analysis]), the social media giant, released its earnings on Wednesday. On the company's earnings call, CEO Mark Zuckerberg stated that the company did not intend to release a smart phone.
"Say we release a phone," Zuckerberg said. "We sell 10 million units. Who cares?"
Zuckerberg's larger point was that the company's goal was to maximize the number of users on Facebook -- currently near 1 billion. Releasing a smart phone wouldn't help the company achieve that goal. Even if the phone was incredibly successful, it would still pale in comparison to the number of people who already use Facebook.
Meanwhile, Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) is also be rumored to be readying a smartphone. And, in Amazon's case, it might actually make more sense.
Amazon's core business remains in selling things to people. As an increasing number of people shop on their mobile devices, and more and more digital goods (like ebooks, movies and video games) are consumed strictly on the device they are purchased from, Amazon may have a vested interest in controlling that device.
Facebook reported fourth quarter earnings per share figure of $0.17, more then the $0.15 analysts anticipated, on revenue of $1.59 billion -- more than the consensus analyst estimate of $1.53 billion.
Despite the solid earnings report, shares of Facebook dropped after-hours, falling about 4 percent, back under $30 per share.
(c) 2013 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar