Facebook's Zuckerberg: We're Not Going to Release a Phone
By Sam Mattera | January 31, 2013 10:49 AM EST
Facebook (NASDAQ: FB [FREE Stock Trend Analysis]), the social media giant, released its earnings on Wednesday. On the company's earnings call, CEO Mark Zuckerberg stated that the company did not intend to release a smart phone.
"Say we release a phone," Zuckerberg said. "We sell 10 million units. Who cares?"
Zuckerberg's larger point was that the company's goal was to maximize the number of users on Facebook -- currently near 1 billion. Releasing a smart phone wouldn't help the company achieve that goal. Even if the phone was incredibly successful, it would still pale in comparison to the number of people who already use Facebook.
Meanwhile, Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) is also be rumored to be readying a smartphone. And, in Amazon's case, it might actually make more sense.
Amazon's core business remains in selling things to people. As an increasing number of people shop on their mobile devices, and more and more digital goods (like ebooks, movies and video games) are consumed strictly on the device they are purchased from, Amazon may have a vested interest in controlling that device.
Facebook reported fourth quarter earnings per share figure of $0.17, more then the $0.15 analysts anticipated, on revenue of $1.59 billion -- more than the consensus analyst estimate of $1.53 billion.
Despite the solid earnings report, shares of Facebook dropped after-hours, falling about 4 percent, back under $30 per share.
(c) 2013 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’