Facebook's Zuckerberg: We're Not Going to Release a Phone
By Sam Mattera | January 31, 2013 10:49 AM EST
Facebook (NASDAQ: FB [FREE Stock Trend Analysis]), the social media giant, released its earnings on Wednesday. On the company's earnings call, CEO Mark Zuckerberg stated that the company did not intend to release a smart phone.
"Say we release a phone," Zuckerberg said. "We sell 10 million units. Who cares?"
Zuckerberg's larger point was that the company's goal was to maximize the number of users on Facebook -- currently near 1 billion. Releasing a smart phone wouldn't help the company achieve that goal. Even if the phone was incredibly successful, it would still pale in comparison to the number of people who already use Facebook.
Meanwhile, Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) is also be rumored to be readying a smartphone. And, in Amazon's case, it might actually make more sense.
Amazon's core business remains in selling things to people. As an increasing number of people shop on their mobile devices, and more and more digital goods (like ebooks, movies and video games) are consumed strictly on the device they are purchased from, Amazon may have a vested interest in controlling that device.
Facebook reported fourth quarter earnings per share figure of $0.17, more then the $0.15 analysts anticipated, on revenue of $1.59 billion -- more than the consensus analyst estimate of $1.53 billion.
Despite the solid earnings report, shares of Facebook dropped after-hours, falling about 4 percent, back under $30 per share.
(c) 2013 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans