Facebook's Zuckerberg: We're Not Going to Release a Phone
By Sam Mattera | January 31, 2013 10:49 AM EST
Facebook (NASDAQ: FB [FREE Stock Trend Analysis]), the social media giant, released its earnings on Wednesday. On the company's earnings call, CEO Mark Zuckerberg stated that the company did not intend to release a smart phone.
"Say we release a phone," Zuckerberg said. "We sell 10 million units. Who cares?"
Zuckerberg's larger point was that the company's goal was to maximize the number of users on Facebook -- currently near 1 billion. Releasing a smart phone wouldn't help the company achieve that goal. Even if the phone was incredibly successful, it would still pale in comparison to the number of people who already use Facebook.
Meanwhile, Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) is also be rumored to be readying a smartphone. And, in Amazon's case, it might actually make more sense.
Amazon's core business remains in selling things to people. As an increasing number of people shop on their mobile devices, and more and more digital goods (like ebooks, movies and video games) are consumed strictly on the device they are purchased from, Amazon may have a vested interest in controlling that device.
Facebook reported fourth quarter earnings per share figure of $0.17, more then the $0.15 analysts anticipated, on revenue of $1.59 billion -- more than the consensus analyst estimate of $1.53 billion.
Despite the solid earnings report, shares of Facebook dropped after-hours, falling about 4 percent, back under $30 per share.
(c) 2013 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft