Assessing Another Queensland Flood
January 31, 2013 10:13 AM EST
-Insurers can withstand this flood
-Flood impact worst for Suncorp
-Minimal impact so far on mines
-Some coal haulage delays
By Eva Brocklehurst
Whatever the weather we'll weather the weather, whether we like it or not.
A rhyme from schooldays sums up the outlook of insurers for the first month of 2013, replete with fires and floods. This week's Queensland floods are somewhat of a problem for coal miners and haulage companies too, given the coal-intensive Bowen Basin has copped it again.
For insurers it looks like a 'modest' impact for Insurance Australia Group ((IAG)) and QBE ((QBE)) and 'significant' for Suncorp ((SUN)), with its heavier Queensland exposure. Nevertheless, Goldman Sachs believes, for Suncorp the impact will be less than 2011 because the capital, Brisbane, was greatly affected back then. Suncorp's worst case net cost is $250 million and while this may not be reached the broker expects the large claims will come in over budget in the second half, countering a benign first half. Deutsche Bank concurs, noting 22% of Suncorp's gross written premium comes from Queensland.
On FNArena's database Suncorp has five Buy ratings, although many of these have not been re-evaluated since the flood. Nevertheless, BA-ML, which has re-visited the stock, has retained a Buy rating and confirmed Suncorp as its number one pick in the insurance sector, believing there is more upside due. BA-ML raised the price target to $11.40. The price targets range from $10.11 (JP Morgan) to Citi's $12.20. Macquarie is the one with a Sell rating, having said earlier this month that it needs to see material improvement in the company's performance to change its opinion.
QBE's maximum event retention is $200m but Goldman considers it unlikely that figure will be reached and QBE is well able to absorb the costs in its global budget for losses. Deutsche Bank sees QBE's Queensland exposure as entailing just 3-4% of gross written premium. QBE has six Hold
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 22, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon July 23, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales