Paris Haute Couture Week 2013: The Wackiest Fashions [PHOTOS]
By Nadine DeNinno | January 31, 2013 9:34 AM EST
While haute couture can offer some gorgeous moments in fashion, – like the Chanel show for example – some of it is just plan wacky.
Don’t know what haute couture means? Join Jennifer Lawrence, who told E! News on the red carpet at the 2013 Golden Globes that despite wearing Dior Haute Couture, she had no clue either but “had to say it.”
Unlike the properly termed ready-to-wear, haute couture – which means “high fashion” in French – is made to order for customers on an individual basis. Fabrics are of ultra-luxe quality and often times has so much detail within the sewing involved.
Since it began in the 18th century, haute couture is actually protected by law in France by the terms of the Chambre de commerce et d'industrie de Paris. In fact, the commission each year chooses the only “true haute couture houses” which can label their clothing “haute couture” as part of the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. The commission also directly oversees piracy, foreign relations and press, advertising and runs a couture school to teach the trade.
For the 2013 Haute Couture season, which ran from Jan. 21 to Jan. 24, fashion houses who are correspondent members, like Christian Dior, Giambattista Valli, Chanel, Jean Paul Gaultier and Maison Martin Margiela showed their latest haute couture creations.
But, as haute couture goes, some looks ranged from quirky to out-of-worldly weird to utterly ridiculous. Here’s a look at some of the craziest at Paris Haute Couture Week.
Is this a dress or a playhouse?
"La Femme Au Masque De Fer"
There's so much going on, where do we begin?
Spare a napkin?
Hopefully carrying babies in backpacks will not be a trend.
Artist meets candy wrapper hoarder.
The Harvey Dent of fashion.
This dress can be worn or used as a rolling pin...or a torture device.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Kim Kardashian Attends Gallery Opening In A Sexy Top Amid Nude Photo Scandal
- Late Singer Amy Winehouse's Statue Unveiled On Her 31st Birthday In North London [SEE VIDEO]
- DIY Spring Project: Make Your Own Bird Bath And Liven Up Your Garden
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos To Be Displayed In Art Exhibit
- Jennifer Lawrence And Kate Upton's Uncensored Nude Photos To Be Put Up In Exhibition In Florida
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate