Paris Haute Couture Week 2013: The Wackiest Fashions [PHOTOS]
By Nadine DeNinno | January 31, 2013 9:34 AM EST
While haute couture can offer some gorgeous moments in fashion, – like the Chanel show for example – some of it is just plan wacky.
Don’t know what haute couture means? Join Jennifer Lawrence, who told E! News on the red carpet at the 2013 Golden Globes that despite wearing Dior Haute Couture, she had no clue either but “had to say it.”
Unlike the properly termed ready-to-wear, haute couture – which means “high fashion” in French – is made to order for customers on an individual basis. Fabrics are of ultra-luxe quality and often times has so much detail within the sewing involved.
Since it began in the 18th century, haute couture is actually protected by law in France by the terms of the Chambre de commerce et d'industrie de Paris. In fact, the commission each year chooses the only “true haute couture houses” which can label their clothing “haute couture” as part of the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. The commission also directly oversees piracy, foreign relations and press, advertising and runs a couture school to teach the trade.
For the 2013 Haute Couture season, which ran from Jan. 21 to Jan. 24, fashion houses who are correspondent members, like Christian Dior, Giambattista Valli, Chanel, Jean Paul Gaultier and Maison Martin Margiela showed their latest haute couture creations.
But, as haute couture goes, some looks ranged from quirky to out-of-worldly weird to utterly ridiculous. Here’s a look at some of the craziest at Paris Haute Couture Week.
Is this a dress or a playhouse?
"La Femme Au Masque De Fer"
There's so much going on, where do we begin?
Spare a napkin?
Hopefully carrying babies in backpacks will not be a trend.
Artist meets candy wrapper hoarder.
The Harvey Dent of fashion.
This dress can be worn or used as a rolling pin...or a torture device.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Hello Kitty's Shocking News: She Is Not Cat But A Little Girl Of George and Mary White
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Paints Using Boxing Gloves in Promo for Philippine Edition of Sports Science TV Show He is Hosting
- Photographer Discovers Mime was Young Robin Williams 35 Years After
- How Bass and Heavy Music can Make you Feel Powerful
- Hair Iron Could Spell the Future of Instant Hair Colour - US Engineers [Watch Video]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying