Paris Haute Couture Week 2013: The Wackiest Fashions [PHOTOS]
By Nadine DeNinno | January 31, 2013 9:34 AM EST
While haute couture can offer some gorgeous moments in fashion, – like the Chanel show for example – some of it is just plan wacky.
Don’t know what haute couture means? Join Jennifer Lawrence, who told E! News on the red carpet at the 2013 Golden Globes that despite wearing Dior Haute Couture, she had no clue either but “had to say it.”
Unlike the properly termed ready-to-wear, haute couture – which means “high fashion” in French – is made to order for customers on an individual basis. Fabrics are of ultra-luxe quality and often times has so much detail within the sewing involved.
Since it began in the 18th century, haute couture is actually protected by law in France by the terms of the Chambre de commerce et d'industrie de Paris. In fact, the commission each year chooses the only “true haute couture houses” which can label their clothing “haute couture” as part of the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. The commission also directly oversees piracy, foreign relations and press, advertising and runs a couture school to teach the trade.
For the 2013 Haute Couture season, which ran from Jan. 21 to Jan. 24, fashion houses who are correspondent members, like Christian Dior, Giambattista Valli, Chanel, Jean Paul Gaultier and Maison Martin Margiela showed their latest haute couture creations.
But, as haute couture goes, some looks ranged from quirky to out-of-worldly weird to utterly ridiculous. Here’s a look at some of the craziest at Paris Haute Couture Week.
Is this a dress or a playhouse?
"La Femme Au Masque De Fer"
There's so much going on, where do we begin?
Spare a napkin?
Hopefully carrying babies in backpacks will not be a trend.
Artist meets candy wrapper hoarder.
The Harvey Dent of fashion.
This dress can be worn or used as a rolling pin...or a torture device.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage