Paris Haute Couture Week 2013: The Wackiest Fashions [PHOTOS]
By Nadine DeNinno | January 31, 2013 9:34 AM EST
While haute couture can offer some gorgeous moments in fashion, – like the Chanel show for example – some of it is just plan wacky.
Don’t know what haute couture means? Join Jennifer Lawrence, who told E! News on the red carpet at the 2013 Golden Globes that despite wearing Dior Haute Couture, she had no clue either but “had to say it.”
Unlike the properly termed ready-to-wear, haute couture – which means “high fashion” in French – is made to order for customers on an individual basis. Fabrics are of ultra-luxe quality and often times has so much detail within the sewing involved.
Since it began in the 18th century, haute couture is actually protected by law in France by the terms of the Chambre de commerce et d'industrie de Paris. In fact, the commission each year chooses the only “true haute couture houses” which can label their clothing “haute couture” as part of the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. The commission also directly oversees piracy, foreign relations and press, advertising and runs a couture school to teach the trade.
For the 2013 Haute Couture season, which ran from Jan. 21 to Jan. 24, fashion houses who are correspondent members, like Christian Dior, Giambattista Valli, Chanel, Jean Paul Gaultier and Maison Martin Margiela showed their latest haute couture creations.
But, as haute couture goes, some looks ranged from quirky to out-of-worldly weird to utterly ridiculous. Here’s a look at some of the craziest at Paris Haute Couture Week.
Is this a dress or a playhouse?
"La Femme Au Masque De Fer"
There's so much going on, where do we begin?
Spare a napkin?
Hopefully carrying babies in backpacks will not be a trend.
Artist meets candy wrapper hoarder.
The Harvey Dent of fashion.
This dress can be worn or used as a rolling pin...or a torture device.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Graffiti Artist Banksy Arrested In London - News Causes Social Media Panic
- Vandals Destroy Giant Art Installation In Paris That Looks Like A Sex Toy
- 10 Easy Halloween Decor Ideas
- Kim Kardashian Attends Gallery Opening In A Sexy Top Amid Nude Photo Scandal
- Late Singer Amy Winehouse's Statue Unveiled On Her 31st Birthday In North London [SEE VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports