Paris Haute Couture Week 2013: The Wackiest Fashions [PHOTOS]
By Nadine DeNinno | January 31, 2013 9:34 AM EST
While haute couture can offer some gorgeous moments in fashion, – like the Chanel show for example – some of it is just plan wacky.
Don’t know what haute couture means? Join Jennifer Lawrence, who told E! News on the red carpet at the 2013 Golden Globes that despite wearing Dior Haute Couture, she had no clue either but “had to say it.”
Unlike the properly termed ready-to-wear, haute couture – which means “high fashion” in French – is made to order for customers on an individual basis. Fabrics are of ultra-luxe quality and often times has so much detail within the sewing involved.
Since it began in the 18th century, haute couture is actually protected by law in France by the terms of the Chambre de commerce et d'industrie de Paris. In fact, the commission each year chooses the only “true haute couture houses” which can label their clothing “haute couture” as part of the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. The commission also directly oversees piracy, foreign relations and press, advertising and runs a couture school to teach the trade.
For the 2013 Haute Couture season, which ran from Jan. 21 to Jan. 24, fashion houses who are correspondent members, like Christian Dior, Giambattista Valli, Chanel, Jean Paul Gaultier and Maison Martin Margiela showed their latest haute couture creations.
But, as haute couture goes, some looks ranged from quirky to out-of-worldly weird to utterly ridiculous. Here’s a look at some of the craziest at Paris Haute Couture Week.
Is this a dress or a playhouse?
"La Femme Au Masque De Fer"
There's so much going on, where do we begin?
Spare a napkin?
Hopefully carrying babies in backpacks will not be a trend.
Artist meets candy wrapper hoarder.
The Harvey Dent of fashion.
This dress can be worn or used as a rolling pin...or a torture device.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Hair Iron Could Spell the Future of Instant Hair Colour - US Engineers [Watch Video]
- Sydney Opera House Responds to John Malkovich’s ‘Fit For a Circus’ Critique
- Ancient Large Phalluses Gay Graffiti Become One of World’s Earliest Erotica
- Prince William Horrible New Portrait Revealed, Twitter Reactions
- CSIRO Reveals Involvement w/ Mystery Behind Picasso’s The Blue Room
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers