Le Fondre Shocks Chelsea as Walcott Pegs Back Liverpool
By Nick Howson | January 31, 2013 9:16 AM EST
Adam Le Fondre proved to be Reading's super-sub once again as his double helped The Royals climbed out of the bottom three after a late draw with Chelsea at Madejski Stadium.
Juan Mata and Frank Lampard look set to hand Chelsea their first win in four, but Le Fondre netted twice, including a volley in the fifth minute of added on time, to give him six goals as a substitute in the Premier League this season and more importantly boost Reading's survival hopes.
Manchester United went seven points clear of champions Manchester City after a narrow win over Southampton at Old Trafford.
Jay Rodriguez latched onto Michael Carrick's short back-pass to give Saints a surprise lead, but Wayne Rooney's double before the break sealed the three points, despite David de Gea saving well from Richie Lambert.
Arsenal and Liverpool were both left frustrated in their attempts to close to the gap to the top four after a thrilling 2-2 draw at The Emirates Stadium.
Luis Suarez and Jordan Henderson both capitalised on shambolic Arsenal defending to hand the visitors a two-goal lead, but quick fire goals from Olivier Giroud and Theo Walcott earned a point for Arsene Wenger's beleaguered Gunners.
Tottenham Hotspur remain in fourth after Gareth Bale's stunning equaliser with 10 minutes left pegged back Chris Hughton's Norwich City.
Wes Hoolahan had The Canaries at the break after turning in Anthony Pilkington's cross, but Bale produced a moment of brilliance, weaving in and out of the hosts' defender to steal a draw.
Everton kept the pressure on the top four a Leighton Baines' double helped beat West Bromwich Albion.
Leon Osman set up Baines for his first, rifling into the roof of the net from inside the penalty area, before Claudio Yacob's foul on Victor Anichebe allowed the England international full-back to double his tally from the spot.
Shane Long halved the deficit after bundling home from a yard after John Heitinga delayed his goalline clearance, but despite Graeme Dorrens striking the post, The Baggies couldn't force a leveller.
West Ham United's away day blues continued as Fulham leapfrogged their London rivals with a 3-1 win at Craven Cottage.
Dimitar Berbatov marked his 32nd birthday with the opening goal after 10 minutes, heading home Damien Duff's free-kick, however Kevin Nolan's equalised just after the break.
But Hugo Rodallega headed home another Duff cross and Joey O'Brien deflected Mladen Petric's effort into his own net as The Hammers folded to an eighth away league win this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales