Le Fondre Shocks Chelsea as Walcott Pegs Back Liverpool
By Nick Howson | January 31, 2013 9:16 AM EST
Adam Le Fondre proved to be Reading's super-sub once again as his double helped The Royals climbed out of the bottom three after a late draw with Chelsea at Madejski Stadium.
Juan Mata and Frank Lampard look set to hand Chelsea their first win in four, but Le Fondre netted twice, including a volley in the fifth minute of added on time, to give him six goals as a substitute in the Premier League this season and more importantly boost Reading's survival hopes.
Manchester United went seven points clear of champions Manchester City after a narrow win over Southampton at Old Trafford.
Jay Rodriguez latched onto Michael Carrick's short back-pass to give Saints a surprise lead, but Wayne Rooney's double before the break sealed the three points, despite David de Gea saving well from Richie Lambert.
Arsenal and Liverpool were both left frustrated in their attempts to close to the gap to the top four after a thrilling 2-2 draw at The Emirates Stadium.
Luis Suarez and Jordan Henderson both capitalised on shambolic Arsenal defending to hand the visitors a two-goal lead, but quick fire goals from Olivier Giroud and Theo Walcott earned a point for Arsene Wenger's beleaguered Gunners.
Tottenham Hotspur remain in fourth after Gareth Bale's stunning equaliser with 10 minutes left pegged back Chris Hughton's Norwich City.
Wes Hoolahan had The Canaries at the break after turning in Anthony Pilkington's cross, but Bale produced a moment of brilliance, weaving in and out of the hosts' defender to steal a draw.
Everton kept the pressure on the top four a Leighton Baines' double helped beat West Bromwich Albion.
Leon Osman set up Baines for his first, rifling into the roof of the net from inside the penalty area, before Claudio Yacob's foul on Victor Anichebe allowed the England international full-back to double his tally from the spot.
Shane Long halved the deficit after bundling home from a yard after John Heitinga delayed his goalline clearance, but despite Graeme Dorrens striking the post, The Baggies couldn't force a leveller.
West Ham United's away day blues continued as Fulham leapfrogged their London rivals with a 3-1 win at Craven Cottage.
Dimitar Berbatov marked his 32nd birthday with the opening goal after 10 minutes, heading home Damien Duff's free-kick, however Kevin Nolan's equalised just after the break.
But Hugo Rodallega headed home another Duff cross and Joey O'Brien deflected Mladen Petric's effort into his own net as The Hammers folded to an eighth away league win this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date