Facebook 4Q Results: Earnings Beat Estimates, Revenue Jumps 40%
By David Zielenziger | January 31, 2013 8:32 AM EST
Facebook (NASDAQ:FB), the No. 1 social networking website, reporting its first fourth-quarter results as a public company, exceeded analyst expectations as revenue jumped 40 percent and its users rose to 1.06 billion members.
Still, the Menlo Park, Calif.-based company indicated its rapid growth is slowing, although it’s making inroads into mobile platforms, which now account for 23 percent of revenue.
Facebook said fourth-quarter net income fell to $64 million, or 3 cents a share, from $302 million, or 14 cents a year earlier. But earnings from operations were 17 cents a share, 2 cents ahead of the estimates of 35 analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters.
Meanwhile, Facebook’s fourth-quarter revenue rose 40 percent to $1.59 billion from $1.13 billion a year earlier. Full-year net income was $53 million, or a penny a share, compared with $1 billion, or 46 cents a share, a year earlier.
“We enter 2013 good momentum and will continue to invest in our mission and become a stronger, more valuable company,” said CEO Mark Zuckerberg, 28, who controls about 56 percent of the company outright.
CFO David Ebersman is scheduled to talk with investment analysts later on Wednesday.
Shares of Facebook rose 45 cents to close at $31.24 on Wednesday. They fell about 5 percent after the results were announced.
They are off 18 percent from their IPO price of $38 set on May 17 but traded as low as $17.55 in early September.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Chris Brown and Karrueche Tran Flirt on Twitter, Couple Back Together after Sparking Break-Up Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z Reunite for Dinner with Solange: Divorce Reports off the Hook - Reports
- The Vampire Diaries Actor Ian Somerhalder Cares More for Nikki Reed than Nina Dobrev - Reports
- Kristen Stewart Helps Robert Pattinson Get Role in Movie 'Idol's Eye' - Reports
- Beyonce & Jay Z Divorce Reports Looms: Fans Lose Hope in Love, Twitter Gets Strong Reactions on Alleged Split
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales