Facebook 4Q Results: Earnings Beat Estimates, Revenue Jumps 40%
By David Zielenziger | January 31, 2013 8:32 AM EST
Facebook (NASDAQ:FB), the No. 1 social networking website, reporting its first fourth-quarter results as a public company, exceeded analyst expectations as revenue jumped 40 percent and its users rose to 1.06 billion members.
Still, the Menlo Park, Calif.-based company indicated its rapid growth is slowing, although it’s making inroads into mobile platforms, which now account for 23 percent of revenue.
Facebook said fourth-quarter net income fell to $64 million, or 3 cents a share, from $302 million, or 14 cents a year earlier. But earnings from operations were 17 cents a share, 2 cents ahead of the estimates of 35 analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters.
Meanwhile, Facebook’s fourth-quarter revenue rose 40 percent to $1.59 billion from $1.13 billion a year earlier. Full-year net income was $53 million, or a penny a share, compared with $1 billion, or 46 cents a share, a year earlier.
“We enter 2013 good momentum and will continue to invest in our mission and become a stronger, more valuable company,” said CEO Mark Zuckerberg, 28, who controls about 56 percent of the company outright.
CFO David Ebersman is scheduled to talk with investment analysts later on Wednesday.
Shares of Facebook rose 45 cents to close at $31.24 on Wednesday. They fell about 5 percent after the results were announced.
They are off 18 percent from their IPO price of $38 set on May 17 but traded as low as $17.55 in early September.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Virgin Atlantic Space Tourism Rocket Crashes At Test Flight, 1 Dead
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- Top 3 Nail Art Designs For Halloween 2014
- Liverpool FC Injury News: Reds Striker Sturridge Still Out For Newcastle United Clash, Says Rodgers
- Top 3 Halloween 2014 Makeup Looks To Try
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists