Facebook 4Q Results: Earnings Beat Estimates, Revenue Jumps 40%
By David Zielenziger | January 31, 2013 8:32 AM EST
Facebook (NASDAQ:FB), the No. 1 social networking website, reporting its first fourth-quarter results as a public company, exceeded analyst expectations as revenue jumped 40 percent and its users rose to 1.06 billion members.
Still, the Menlo Park, Calif.-based company indicated its rapid growth is slowing, although it’s making inroads into mobile platforms, which now account for 23 percent of revenue.
Facebook said fourth-quarter net income fell to $64 million, or 3 cents a share, from $302 million, or 14 cents a year earlier. But earnings from operations were 17 cents a share, 2 cents ahead of the estimates of 35 analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters.
Meanwhile, Facebook’s fourth-quarter revenue rose 40 percent to $1.59 billion from $1.13 billion a year earlier. Full-year net income was $53 million, or a penny a share, compared with $1 billion, or 46 cents a share, a year earlier.
“We enter 2013 good momentum and will continue to invest in our mission and become a stronger, more valuable company,” said CEO Mark Zuckerberg, 28, who controls about 56 percent of the company outright.
CFO David Ebersman is scheduled to talk with investment analysts later on Wednesday.
Shares of Facebook rose 45 cents to close at $31.24 on Wednesday. They fell about 5 percent after the results were announced.
They are off 18 percent from their IPO price of $38 set on May 17 but traded as low as $17.55 in early September.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Caroline Wozniacki Remains Optimistic And Swears To Keep ‘Getting Better’ To Win Her First Grand Slam Title
- CL T20 2014: Can Mumbai Indians Keep Their Chances Alive?
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date