HBO’s 'Entourage' Gets A Movie: 5 Other TV Shows To Hit The Big Screen
January 31, 2013 6:34 AM EST
Fans of the HBO sensation “Entourage” received good news on Tuesday. According to Deadline, the half-hour comedy series that aired from 2004 to 2011 is being made into a film.
The upcoming feature is set to be helmed by the show’s creator Doug Ellin. Mark Wahlberg and Stephen Levinson will serve as executive producers.
The film is expected to feature Adrian Grenier, Jeremy Piven, and the rest of the original cast from the Emmy-winning series.
“Entourage” joins the lengthy list of films that have been inspired by small screen hits.
The 1970’s hit show “Charlie’s Angels” inspired a 2000 acting film starring Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz, Lucy Liu, and Bill Murray. The film impressed skeptical critics and earned $264 million at the box office. In 2003, the less adored sequel “Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle” was released.
The beloved sci-fi series “The X Files,” which ran from 1993-2002, hit the big screen in 1998 and a decade later in 2008. Like the FOX hit, the films starred David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson. Though “The X Files” earned $189 million at the box office, “The X Files: I Want To Believe” took in a disappointing $68 million.
“Sex and The City”
One of the most culturally influential shows of all time, “Sex and the City” spawned a well-received film of the same name in 2008. The film took in a stunning $415 million worldwide. And though the 2010 follow-up “Sex and the City 2” was deemed dreadful by critics, it managed to earn an impressive $306 million globally.
In 2012, Tim Burton adapted the campy vampire soap “Dark Shadows,” which ran from 1966 to 1971. Unfortunately, the whimsical filmmaker squandered the film’s endless potential. The comedy, starring Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, and Michelle Pfeiffer was largely panned. Still, the film earned $239 million wordwide.
“21 Jump Street”
The 80’s series “21 Jump Street” is known for its cult following and for making Johnny Depp a star. The film version is known for being one of the most successful TV to film adaptations of all time. The 2012 comedy, starring Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill, grossed a whopping $201 million worldwide. It’s no wonder plans for a sequel are already underway.
A number of other popular shows have been rumored to be hitting the big screen.
Speculation surrounding an “Arrested Development” movie has been rampant since the sort-lived series was canceled in 2006
Yet according to Deadline, it is still unclear whether the popular comedy, which is set to return for 14 new episodes exclusively on Netflix this spring, will been made into a film.
According to MSN, the Emmy-winning series “24,” which ended its run in 2010, may become a film in 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation