HBO’s 'Entourage' Gets A Movie: 5 Other TV Shows To Hit The Big Screen
January 31, 2013 6:34 AM EST
Fans of the HBO sensation “Entourage” received good news on Tuesday. According to Deadline, the half-hour comedy series that aired from 2004 to 2011 is being made into a film.
The upcoming feature is set to be helmed by the show’s creator Doug Ellin. Mark Wahlberg and Stephen Levinson will serve as executive producers.
The film is expected to feature Adrian Grenier, Jeremy Piven, and the rest of the original cast from the Emmy-winning series.
“Entourage” joins the lengthy list of films that have been inspired by small screen hits.
The 1970’s hit show “Charlie’s Angels” inspired a 2000 acting film starring Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz, Lucy Liu, and Bill Murray. The film impressed skeptical critics and earned $264 million at the box office. In 2003, the less adored sequel “Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle” was released.
The beloved sci-fi series “The X Files,” which ran from 1993-2002, hit the big screen in 1998 and a decade later in 2008. Like the FOX hit, the films starred David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson. Though “The X Files” earned $189 million at the box office, “The X Files: I Want To Believe” took in a disappointing $68 million.
“Sex and The City”
One of the most culturally influential shows of all time, “Sex and the City” spawned a well-received film of the same name in 2008. The film took in a stunning $415 million worldwide. And though the 2010 follow-up “Sex and the City 2” was deemed dreadful by critics, it managed to earn an impressive $306 million globally.
In 2012, Tim Burton adapted the campy vampire soap “Dark Shadows,” which ran from 1966 to 1971. Unfortunately, the whimsical filmmaker squandered the film’s endless potential. The comedy, starring Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, and Michelle Pfeiffer was largely panned. Still, the film earned $239 million wordwide.
“21 Jump Street”
The 80’s series “21 Jump Street” is known for its cult following and for making Johnny Depp a star. The film version is known for being one of the most successful TV to film adaptations of all time. The 2012 comedy, starring Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill, grossed a whopping $201 million worldwide. It’s no wonder plans for a sequel are already underway.
A number of other popular shows have been rumored to be hitting the big screen.
Speculation surrounding an “Arrested Development” movie has been rampant since the sort-lived series was canceled in 2006
Yet according to Deadline, it is still unclear whether the popular comedy, which is set to return for 14 new episodes exclusively on Netflix this spring, will been made into a film.
According to MSN, the Emmy-winning series “24,” which ended its run in 2010, may become a film in 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best