Greek protesters occupy ministry office, clash with police
January 31, 2013 3:21 AM EST
Greek anti-austerity protesters stormed the office of the labour minister on Wednesday and clashed with police after 30 demonstrators were arrested.
The scuffles erupted after police detained members of the Communist-affiliated PAME group who had forced their way into the ministry and occupied Labour Minister Yannis Vroutsis's office for about two hours.
Police fired teargas and used batons to disperse roughly 300 demonstrators who rallied outside the ministry in solidarity, with banners reading "No to cuts!" and "Take to the streets!"
Greece has seen a surge in protests - many of which have turned violent - since imposing tough austerity measures demanded by its European Union and International Monetary Fund lenders as the price for bailout funds to stave off bankruptcy.
Last week, the government ended a nine-day transport strike by threatening metro workers with arrests if they failed to return to work.
Transport unions and electricity workers plan more anti-austerity strikes on Thursday despite government warnings that it has little patience for labour action that further burdens austerity-hit Greeks.
"Violence in any form must be condemned," government spokesman Simos Kedikoglou said in a statement condemning the occupation of the labour minister's office. "The government will not put up with this kind of incident."
Police said two protesters were slightly injured in Wednesday's clashes.
Protesters chanted, "We are not clients, we are workers" and said they were angered by comments made by Vroutsis on Tuesday when he said Greece's social security system was founded on clientilism.
(Reporting by Yiorgos Karahalis and John Kolesidis; Editing by Rosalind Russell)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies