South Africa Dreadlock Thieves Shave Head of Clubber Mutsa Madonko
By Toyin Owoseje | January 31, 2013 2:07 AM EST
A Zimbabwean holidaymaker has become the latest victim of a spate of dreadlock robberies in South Africa, believed to have been triggered by the demand for human hair extensions.
Mutsa Madonko was partying with friends at a nightclub in Johannesburg when a gang allegedly abducted him and shaved his head.
Madonko was found unconscious and bare-headed by his friend, Jasper Munsinwa.
Munsinwa said it was clear the thieves only targeted Mutsa for his dreadlocks, which had taken him 10 years to grow.
"When we found him he still had his cellphone and wallet with all his money inside," he said.
Shoulder-length natural dreadlocks can fetch anything between 200 and 2,500 rand (£14 and £175) depending on the length, said the Times.
The extensions are weaved into hair of men and women.
Hairstylist Lebo Masimong said: "You are an easy target if you walk around the CBD [Johannesburg's Central Business District] and your hair is loose.
"They don't care about your money or fancy phone. They are only after your hair."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia