South Africa Dreadlock Thieves Shave Head of Clubber Mutsa Madonko
By Toyin Owoseje | January 31, 2013 2:07 AM EST
A Zimbabwean holidaymaker has become the latest victim of a spate of dreadlock robberies in South Africa, believed to have been triggered by the demand for human hair extensions.
Mutsa Madonko was partying with friends at a nightclub in Johannesburg when a gang allegedly abducted him and shaved his head.
Madonko was found unconscious and bare-headed by his friend, Jasper Munsinwa.
Munsinwa said it was clear the thieves only targeted Mutsa for his dreadlocks, which had taken him 10 years to grow.
"When we found him he still had his cellphone and wallet with all his money inside," he said.
Shoulder-length natural dreadlocks can fetch anything between 200 and 2,500 rand (£14 and £175) depending on the length, said the Times.
The extensions are weaved into hair of men and women.
Hairstylist Lebo Masimong said: "You are an easy target if you walk around the CBD [Johannesburg's Central Business District] and your hair is loose.
"They don't care about your money or fancy phone. They are only after your hair."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- UFO Falling 'Angel Hair' Strands Spotted By Portugal Residents [VIDEO]
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Has 'Uncanny Ability,' Described As 'Posh' During Public Appearances
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast