Euro Breaks $1.35 Barrier
By Laura Brodbeck | January 31, 2013 1:39 AM EST
The euro reached a 14 month high on Wednesday morning, pushing above $1.35 for the first time since December of 2011. The currency traded at 1.3513.
The euro's rebound is largely attributed to the European Central Bank's efforts to do “whatever it takes” to keep the currency together. After rumors of a Greek exit from the currency and worries that the entire union would collapse, the region has stabilized allowing the currency to grow.
The latest boost came from eurozone banks, whose financial trouble seems to have been resolved as they promised to repay a large chunk of their 3 year ECB loans early on January 30th. The decision to repay shows the banks' strength as they move toward independent financing without the help of ECB funds.
While a strong euro shows the financial markets have recovered, some are speculating that problems within the eurozone could follow such a marked rise. The Wall Street Journal reported that some analysts are weary about the euro's newfound strength.
Within the 17 nation currency bloc, there are different needs as far as monetary policy. For countries who are trying to ramp up their exports in order to normalize their financials, a strong euro can be dangerous.
Now that the euro has broken the $1.35 barrier, many believe it will be difficult to cap its growth. In February, ECB Bank President Mario Draghi and his team of Finance Ministers will be tasked with deciding whether or not to lower interest rates to record lows that would make the ECB's deposit rate negative, and likely be opposed by Germany.
(c) 2013 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports