Boeing's Fourth-Quarter Earnings Fall Despite Revenue Gain, No Impact Seen From Grounding Of 787 Dreamliner Fleet
January 31, 2013 12:44 AM EST
The Boeing Company (NYSE:BA) officials maintained Wednesday that the ongoing investigation of 787 Dreamliner batteries – which has led the Federal Aviation Administration to indefinitely grounded all 787s -- would have “no significant financial impact” on profitability.
The Chicago-based aerospace giant issued the forecast as it reported a nearly 30 percent drop in net profit, to $978 million from $1.39 billion in the year-earlier quarter, which was boosted by a one-time favorable tax matter.
Earnings per share from continuing operations in the fourth quarter fell to $1.38 from $1.84, despite a revenue gain of 14 percent to $22.3 billion.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected fourth-quarter earnings per share of $1.19.
“The company's current 2013 financial guidance assumes no significant financial impact from the FAA directive” to ground all in-service 787 Dreamliners until problems with the aircraft’s lithium-ion batteries are solved.
Shares rose in premarket trading by 95 cents to $74.60.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools