Karnataka BJP Govt Could Fall Anytime; More Resignation Will Pull Shettar Govt Down
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 31, 2013 12:48 AM EST
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government in Karnataka, which saw 12 of its MLAs resign on Tuesday, could fall anytime if the claim of former chief minister B S Yeddyurappa is anything to go by.
Yeddyurappa, who floated a new political party - Karnataka Janata party Paksha - on Dec 9 after he left the BJP, told reporters at Indi in Bijapur district that more ministers and MLAs are could resign in the days to come.
13 BJP MLAs, including two ministers placed their resignation letter to Speaker K.G. Bopaiah on Tuesday, out of which 12 of them were accepted. However, the resignation of MLA Vittal Katakdonda was not accepted citing procedural lapses.
Despite mass resignation, Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar said that his government is stable and is confident that the remaining MLAs will not resign.
The strength of BJP has now been reduced to 106 from 118, but the total number is 109, including the Speaker, a nominated member, and an Independent. However, a few more resignation would pull down the government.
The effective strength of the 225-member Assembly has been reduced to 211 following the recent resignations and two vacancies. There are 71 Congress MLAs, 26 JD(S) MLAs, seven Independents and one nominated.
It seems the mass resignation is an attempt tp prevent the CM from presenting the 2013-14 budget proposals on Feb 8, which would help his party in the assembly elections due in May.
The Governor of Karnataka is expected to ask the CM to prove majority in the assembly before the budget is presented. The assembly will be dissolved if the BJP fails to prove majority.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Ideological Support Swells for Scottish Independence
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch Wants Putin's Daughter Maria Deported to Russia From Holland
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Gaza Crisis: 695 Dead & 4,500 Injured, UN Accuses Israel of War Crimes
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales