Karnataka BJP Govt Could Fall Anytime; More Resignation Will Pull Shettar Govt Down
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 31, 2013 12:48 AM EST
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government in Karnataka, which saw 12 of its MLAs resign on Tuesday, could fall anytime if the claim of former chief minister B S Yeddyurappa is anything to go by.
Yeddyurappa, who floated a new political party - Karnataka Janata party Paksha - on Dec 9 after he left the BJP, told reporters at Indi in Bijapur district that more ministers and MLAs are could resign in the days to come.
13 BJP MLAs, including two ministers placed their resignation letter to Speaker K.G. Bopaiah on Tuesday, out of which 12 of them were accepted. However, the resignation of MLA Vittal Katakdonda was not accepted citing procedural lapses.
Despite mass resignation, Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar said that his government is stable and is confident that the remaining MLAs will not resign.
The strength of BJP has now been reduced to 106 from 118, but the total number is 109, including the Speaker, a nominated member, and an Independent. However, a few more resignation would pull down the government.
The effective strength of the 225-member Assembly has been reduced to 211 following the recent resignations and two vacancies. There are 71 Congress MLAs, 26 JD(S) MLAs, seven Independents and one nominated.
It seems the mass resignation is an attempt tp prevent the CM from presenting the 2013-14 budget proposals on Feb 8, which would help his party in the assembly elections due in May.
The Governor of Karnataka is expected to ask the CM to prove majority in the assembly before the budget is presented. The assembly will be dissolved if the BJP fails to prove majority.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows
- Prince Charles to Reshape Monarchy When He Becomes King – Report
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- China Is Building An Island In The Spratly Islands—Report
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide