Manchester United Prepare £8m Bid for Celtic Star - Report
By Didrik Ottesen | January 31, 2013 12:39 AM EST
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is set to make an £8million transfer deadline day swoop for Celtic's highly-rated midfielder Victor Wanyama.
Both Manchester United and Arsenal have scouted the Kenyan on several occasions this season and have become increasingly impressed with the midfielder, culminating in Wanyama's starring role in Celtic's 2-1 victory over Barcelona.
Celtic are likely to reject the offer due to the player's importance as the Bhoys prepare for the knockout stages of the Champions League.
However, Kenyan FA president, Sam Nyamweya, suggested that the young midfielder would be quitting Celtic in order to join a football powerhouse, before Kenya's international friendly match against Libya.
"Wanyama will soon be joining one of the big two clubs in the world. It is an exciting moment for us, which means that Kenya is a powerhouse in football," said Nyamweya, as quoted in the Scotsman.
According to ESPN, Sir Alex Ferguson watched Wanyama during Celtic's 4-0 win at home to Dundee United last week, refuelling the speculation.
Wanyama could nonetheless be merely a second choice for Manchester United, who are reportedly more interested in signing PSV Eindhoven midfielder Kevin Strootman.
The highly-rated Dutch international has emerged as one of the greatest talents in Europe and has been scouted by both Arsenal, Tottenham and Manchester United representatives as early in December, according to the Mail.
Hailed as "the next Mark van Bommel," Strootman is valued at around £17m by PSV, a significantly higher price than what Wanyama potentially could be leaving for.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June