Manchester United Prepare £8m Bid for Celtic Star - Report
By Didrik Ottesen | January 31, 2013 12:39 AM EST
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is set to make an £8million transfer deadline day swoop for Celtic's highly-rated midfielder Victor Wanyama.
Both Manchester United and Arsenal have scouted the Kenyan on several occasions this season and have become increasingly impressed with the midfielder, culminating in Wanyama's starring role in Celtic's 2-1 victory over Barcelona.
Celtic are likely to reject the offer due to the player's importance as the Bhoys prepare for the knockout stages of the Champions League.
However, Kenyan FA president, Sam Nyamweya, suggested that the young midfielder would be quitting Celtic in order to join a football powerhouse, before Kenya's international friendly match against Libya.
"Wanyama will soon be joining one of the big two clubs in the world. It is an exciting moment for us, which means that Kenya is a powerhouse in football," said Nyamweya, as quoted in the Scotsman.
According to ESPN, Sir Alex Ferguson watched Wanyama during Celtic's 4-0 win at home to Dundee United last week, refuelling the speculation.
Wanyama could nonetheless be merely a second choice for Manchester United, who are reportedly more interested in signing PSV Eindhoven midfielder Kevin Strootman.
The highly-rated Dutch international has emerged as one of the greatest talents in Europe and has been scouted by both Arsenal, Tottenham and Manchester United representatives as early in December, according to the Mail.
Hailed as "the next Mark van Bommel," Strootman is valued at around £17m by PSV, a significantly higher price than what Wanyama potentially could be leaving for.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan