Manchester United Prepare £8m Bid for Celtic Star - Report
By Didrik Ottesen | January 31, 2013 12:39 AM EST
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is set to make an £8million transfer deadline day swoop for Celtic's highly-rated midfielder Victor Wanyama.
Both Manchester United and Arsenal have scouted the Kenyan on several occasions this season and have become increasingly impressed with the midfielder, culminating in Wanyama's starring role in Celtic's 2-1 victory over Barcelona.
Celtic are likely to reject the offer due to the player's importance as the Bhoys prepare for the knockout stages of the Champions League.
However, Kenyan FA president, Sam Nyamweya, suggested that the young midfielder would be quitting Celtic in order to join a football powerhouse, before Kenya's international friendly match against Libya.
"Wanyama will soon be joining one of the big two clubs in the world. It is an exciting moment for us, which means that Kenya is a powerhouse in football," said Nyamweya, as quoted in the Scotsman.
According to ESPN, Sir Alex Ferguson watched Wanyama during Celtic's 4-0 win at home to Dundee United last week, refuelling the speculation.
Wanyama could nonetheless be merely a second choice for Manchester United, who are reportedly more interested in signing PSV Eindhoven midfielder Kevin Strootman.
The highly-rated Dutch international has emerged as one of the greatest talents in Europe and has been scouted by both Arsenal, Tottenham and Manchester United representatives as early in December, according to the Mail.
Hailed as "the next Mark van Bommel," Strootman is valued at around £17m by PSV, a significantly higher price than what Wanyama potentially could be leaving for.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans