Manchester United Prepare £8m Bid for Celtic Star - Report
By Didrik Ottesen | January 31, 2013 12:39 AM EST
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is set to make an £8million transfer deadline day swoop for Celtic's highly-rated midfielder Victor Wanyama.
Both Manchester United and Arsenal have scouted the Kenyan on several occasions this season and have become increasingly impressed with the midfielder, culminating in Wanyama's starring role in Celtic's 2-1 victory over Barcelona.
Celtic are likely to reject the offer due to the player's importance as the Bhoys prepare for the knockout stages of the Champions League.
However, Kenyan FA president, Sam Nyamweya, suggested that the young midfielder would be quitting Celtic in order to join a football powerhouse, before Kenya's international friendly match against Libya.
"Wanyama will soon be joining one of the big two clubs in the world. It is an exciting moment for us, which means that Kenya is a powerhouse in football," said Nyamweya, as quoted in the Scotsman.
According to ESPN, Sir Alex Ferguson watched Wanyama during Celtic's 4-0 win at home to Dundee United last week, refuelling the speculation.
Wanyama could nonetheless be merely a second choice for Manchester United, who are reportedly more interested in signing PSV Eindhoven midfielder Kevin Strootman.
The highly-rated Dutch international has emerged as one of the greatest talents in Europe and has been scouted by both Arsenal, Tottenham and Manchester United representatives as early in December, according to the Mail.
Hailed as "the next Mark van Bommel," Strootman is valued at around £17m by PSV, a significantly higher price than what Wanyama potentially could be leaving for.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2