Manchester United Prepare £8m Bid for Celtic Star - Report
By Didrik Ottesen | January 31, 2013 12:39 AM EST
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is set to make an £8million transfer deadline day swoop for Celtic's highly-rated midfielder Victor Wanyama.
Both Manchester United and Arsenal have scouted the Kenyan on several occasions this season and have become increasingly impressed with the midfielder, culminating in Wanyama's starring role in Celtic's 2-1 victory over Barcelona.
Celtic are likely to reject the offer due to the player's importance as the Bhoys prepare for the knockout stages of the Champions League.
However, Kenyan FA president, Sam Nyamweya, suggested that the young midfielder would be quitting Celtic in order to join a football powerhouse, before Kenya's international friendly match against Libya.
"Wanyama will soon be joining one of the big two clubs in the world. It is an exciting moment for us, which means that Kenya is a powerhouse in football," said Nyamweya, as quoted in the Scotsman.
According to ESPN, Sir Alex Ferguson watched Wanyama during Celtic's 4-0 win at home to Dundee United last week, refuelling the speculation.
Wanyama could nonetheless be merely a second choice for Manchester United, who are reportedly more interested in signing PSV Eindhoven midfielder Kevin Strootman.
The highly-rated Dutch international has emerged as one of the greatest talents in Europe and has been scouted by both Arsenal, Tottenham and Manchester United representatives as early in December, according to the Mail.
Hailed as "the next Mark van Bommel," Strootman is valued at around £17m by PSV, a significantly higher price than what Wanyama potentially could be leaving for.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia