AVB Revels in New Van der Vaart Signing
By Nick Howson | January 30, 2013 11:49 PM EST
Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas says new signing Lewis Holtby can replicate the quality of former midfielder Rafael van der Vaart.
Having previously signed a pre-contract agreement with Spurs, Holtby has joined the club on a permanent basis in January, as cover for injured midfielder Sandro.
Holtby could make his debut for Tottenham in the Premier League trip to Norwich, and Villas-Boas is hoping his side can benefit from a player who in his eyes is one of the bargains of the century.
"Is he the bargain of the century? I think so because it's difficult to find a young player who is running his contract down and we faced tough competition," Villas-Boas said.
"He's recognised as an exceptional young talent and we have high expectations of the player.
"Because of his creativity you can compare him to Rafa [van der Vaart] - to a certain extent anyway because Rafa was a greatly experienced player when he joined and Lewis has all his career ahead of him.
"He will fill the No.10 position, although he can play on the right or the left and he has also played in a holding role."
With Emmanuel Adebayor still away on African Nations Cup duty, as his Togo team side hunt down a place in the quarter-final where they need just a draw in their final group game against Tunisia, and Jermain Defoe struggling with a hip problem, Villas-Boas is under pressure to add an attacker to his squad for the January transfer window shuts on Thursday.
Having previously resisted in making such a move in the window, Villas-Boas finally having switched permanently to 4-4-2 formation, Tottenham may look to sign an additional forward on deadline day.
"We've found consistency in 4-4-2 so eventually we have the possibility to have one more [striker]," Villas-Boas added.
"It's just trying to see if it makes sense. The January market is very demanding. Transfer fees can be ridiculously high."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet