AVB Revels in New Van der Vaart Signing
By Nick Howson | January 30, 2013 11:49 PM EST
Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas says new signing Lewis Holtby can replicate the quality of former midfielder Rafael van der Vaart.
Having previously signed a pre-contract agreement with Spurs, Holtby has joined the club on a permanent basis in January, as cover for injured midfielder Sandro.
Holtby could make his debut for Tottenham in the Premier League trip to Norwich, and Villas-Boas is hoping his side can benefit from a player who in his eyes is one of the bargains of the century.
"Is he the bargain of the century? I think so because it's difficult to find a young player who is running his contract down and we faced tough competition," Villas-Boas said.
"He's recognised as an exceptional young talent and we have high expectations of the player.
"Because of his creativity you can compare him to Rafa [van der Vaart] - to a certain extent anyway because Rafa was a greatly experienced player when he joined and Lewis has all his career ahead of him.
"He will fill the No.10 position, although he can play on the right or the left and he has also played in a holding role."
With Emmanuel Adebayor still away on African Nations Cup duty, as his Togo team side hunt down a place in the quarter-final where they need just a draw in their final group game against Tunisia, and Jermain Defoe struggling with a hip problem, Villas-Boas is under pressure to add an attacker to his squad for the January transfer window shuts on Thursday.
Having previously resisted in making such a move in the window, Villas-Boas finally having switched permanently to 4-4-2 formation, Tottenham may look to sign an additional forward on deadline day.
"We've found consistency in 4-4-2 so eventually we have the possibility to have one more [striker]," Villas-Boas added.
"It's just trying to see if it makes sense. The January market is very demanding. Transfer fees can be ridiculously high."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon