AVB Revels in New Van der Vaart Signing
By Nick Howson | January 30, 2013 11:49 PM EST
Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas says new signing Lewis Holtby can replicate the quality of former midfielder Rafael van der Vaart.
Having previously signed a pre-contract agreement with Spurs, Holtby has joined the club on a permanent basis in January, as cover for injured midfielder Sandro.
Holtby could make his debut for Tottenham in the Premier League trip to Norwich, and Villas-Boas is hoping his side can benefit from a player who in his eyes is one of the bargains of the century.
"Is he the bargain of the century? I think so because it's difficult to find a young player who is running his contract down and we faced tough competition," Villas-Boas said.
"He's recognised as an exceptional young talent and we have high expectations of the player.
"Because of his creativity you can compare him to Rafa [van der Vaart] - to a certain extent anyway because Rafa was a greatly experienced player when he joined and Lewis has all his career ahead of him.
"He will fill the No.10 position, although he can play on the right or the left and he has also played in a holding role."
With Emmanuel Adebayor still away on African Nations Cup duty, as his Togo team side hunt down a place in the quarter-final where they need just a draw in their final group game against Tunisia, and Jermain Defoe struggling with a hip problem, Villas-Boas is under pressure to add an attacker to his squad for the January transfer window shuts on Thursday.
Having previously resisted in making such a move in the window, Villas-Boas finally having switched permanently to 4-4-2 formation, Tottenham may look to sign an additional forward on deadline day.
"We've found consistency in 4-4-2 so eventually we have the possibility to have one more [striker]," Villas-Boas added.
"It's just trying to see if it makes sense. The January market is very demanding. Transfer fees can be ridiculously high."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report