Wenger Praises David Beckham as ex-United Ace Trains with Gunners
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 30, 2013 11:37 PM EST
Arsene Wenger has praised ex-Manchester United midfielder David Beckham for his positive impact on the Gunners' dressing room. The 37-year-old ex-England international has joined the Emirates team for training sessions and to stay match fit, as he considers his next move.
Beckham left United to join Spanish champions Real Madrid in 2003 and spent four seasons with the Santiago Bernabeu outfit, winning the Spanish league the Spanish Super Cup with the team. He then joined Major League Soccer (MLS) side Los Angeles Galaxy, with whom he won two MLS Cups and MLS Supporters' Shields, as well as three MLS Western Conference titles.
The veteran midfielder finished his contract with Galaxy two months ago and is now a free agent, with a host of clubs across the world still interested in his services.
"He's a fantastic example, that's one of the reasons I take him here. He always has a good word for everyone. The young English players especially look at him and take his advice on board. He has done the maximum in his career that you can do. Why? Because he loves football. He arrives before training and, after training, he stays and plays," Wenger said, explaining the reasons behind agreeing to allow Beckham to train with his team.
The Frenchman also said Beckham's presence would have a positive effect on the core of young British players, including Theo Walcott, Jack Wilshere and Carl Jenkinson.
However, Wenger also stressed there was little chance on signing Beckham, either for the rest of the 2012/13 campaign or on longer terms. The comment comes after Wenger rejected similar transfers for 35-year-old ex-France striker and Arsenal legend Thierry Henry.
"I don't know. I haven't even seen him. Honestly, that is not on the agenda. He asked to come here and get fit. You know Beckham is super-ambitious. If in his mind he wanted to play in the Premier League he would not have gone on holiday. He would have prepared and come in and tried to impress me," he said.
Liam Brady to Leave Arsenal in 2014
Meanwhile, another Gunners legend is to leave the club soon. Liam Brady, the head of the north London club's youth academy, will complete 17 years at the club in 2014, when he leaves. And an abiding memory of Brady's involvement with the club will be young talents like Wilshere and left back Kieran Gibbs.
Arsenal released a statement on the club's Web site, indicating their praise of Brady's work:
"Liam has a deep understanding of what it takes to discover and develop a talented youngster into someone who can perform at the highest level. He has made a massive contribution to Arsenal Football Club. It will be difficult to find a worthy successor but we will be looking for someone who can build on what Liam and his team have created."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports