Nigerian Farmers Lose Shell Oil Spill Court Battle
By Toyin Owoseje | January 30, 2013 11:34 PM EST
A group of Nigerian farmers who sued oil giant Shell for polluting villages in the Niger Delta region have lost their landmark case in The Hague Civil Court.
The four villagers from Goi, Oruma and Ikot Ada Udo had accused the Dutch company of environmental mismanagement, which they claimed led to leaking pipelines poisoning fish ponds and farmland.
The farmers insisted that as a result of oil spills, their crops and fish-farms were damaged and their livelihoods destroyed.
One plaintiff, Friday Alfred Akpan, told the BBC: "Fish died as a result of the oil spill, making it difficult for me to live and put my children through school."
Shell denied all charges, insisting that more than half the leaks were caused by theft and sabotage.
The suit was first filed in 2008 by the farmers and Friends of the Earth in the Netherlands, where Shell has its global headquarters.
An earlier Dutch court ruling accepted Shell's assertion that the leaks were caused by sabotage but the farmers returned to court in 2012 in a bid to have the judgment overturned.
Shell has now been acquitted of most of the charges brought against after the court ruled that the company did not breach its duty of care and that the damage was not due to poor maintenance of its facilities. The case involved five allegations of environmental mismanagement abroad, and four of these were thrown out by the court.
"Shell Nigeria should and could have prevented this sabotage in an easy way," the ruling said. "This is why the district court has sentenced Shell Nigeria to pay damages to the Nigerian plaintiff."
Both sides have three months to appeal.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports