Rock Star Chrissie Hynde’s Daughter Natalie in Tree Protest Arrest
By Dominic Gover | January 30, 2013 11:26 PM EST
The daughter of rock stars Chrissie Hynde and Ray Davies has been held by police after protesting against plans to lay a road through a beauty spot.
Natalie Hynde, 29, was held on suspicion of trespassing after she chained herself to an under-threat tree in Combe Haven Valley, East Sussex.
Hynde had climbed up into the tree as part of a protest against the Bexhill-Hastings link road, mounted by Combe Haven Defenders.
She spent three days living in a tree house perched on a branch with 11 other protesters.
Up to 70 bailiffs accompanied by police stormed the protest camp to remove the offspring of rock royalty during a clampdown on Tuesday. Clashes between protesters and the authorities have taken place since December, leading the dispute to be dubbed "The battle of Hastings."
Hynde was understood to be weary and looking forward to a rest, after she was bailed by police. Protests will continue, the group has vowed.
Speaking ahead of her arrest on Tuesday, Hynde condemned the development on environmental grounds. She also told The Guardian: "This is an anti-roads campaign and it's linked in with so many other issues - the cuts and the misdirection of enormous wealth into a £100m road.
"It's grotesque when you look at the beautiful place it's destroying."
Hynde and her fellow protesters drew anger from council leader Peter Jones for interfering with the road building work. He branded the Combe Haven Defenders "a threat to democracy" and told the group to "shove off."
Combe Haven Defenders spokesman Gabriel Carlyle told IBTimes UK: "Peter Jones is the campaign's strongest asset. Every time he opens his mouth he helps make our case with his intemperate language and misinterpretation of reality."
Natalie Hynde obviously inherited the protest bug from her 61-year-old mother, who founded US band The Pretenders and has been prominent in the pressure group People for Ethical Treatment of Animals. In 2003, she was arrested in Paris during a protest against fast food retailer KFC.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- New Zealand Accelerates Ban on Shark Finning
- Woman Posts Ad for Herself As 'Professional Bridesmaid' On Craigslist
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence