Israeli Jets Target Weapons Convoy on Syria-Lebanon Border [VIDEO]
By Gianluca Mezzofiore | January 30, 2013 11:25 PM EST
Israeli warplanes have targeted an alleged weapons convoy near Syria's border with Lebanon, according to multiple sources, amid growing Israeli concern over the fate of Syrian chemical and conventional weapons.
An unnamed diplomat said that "there was definitely a hit in the border area" while Reuters quoted a Lebanese security official as saying that 12 Israeli warplanes violated Lebanese airspace in less than 24 hours.
Earlier this week, Israel moved a battery of its new Iron Dome rocket defence system to the northern city of Haifa, near the border with the area of Lebanon controlled by the anit-Israel Hizbollah. The fear, expressed by Israeli Prime Minister Benajmin Netanyahu, was that the militant group could exploit the civil war in Syria and snatch chemical and conventional weapons.
Al-Monitor website reported that IDF intelligence chief Maj Gen Aviv Kochavi travelled to Washington for closed-door consultations with American officials.
"Some people say IDF wouldn't object to the opportunity to set the record straight vis-a-vis Hezbollah," an unnamed Israeli official told Al-Monitor. "Also, the idea of putting them out of play, as [was] done with Hamas recently"
Israeli authorities would not comment on the alleged strike. A Lebanese army statement said the last of the sorties took place early on Wednesday morning.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Kim Dotcom Banks on 5% Youth Vote in New Zealand September Election
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World