It’s ‘Make Or Break’ Time For RIM With BlackBerry 10
By Vijaykumar Meti | January 30, 2013 10:32 PM EST
Research In Motion (RIM) is all set to launch its innovative line of BlackBerry smartphone today.
With just 4.6 percent of the total global market share of smartphones in 2012, according to IDC, Jan. 30 is set to be the most important date in the company's history that determines its destiny.
The company, which once ruled the market with its handsets, has seen a few rough years. RIM's market shares were down by more than half in the last year, and failed to match competition with increasingly attractive touchscreen devices.
BlackBerry 10 smartphone appears well-positioned to change all that. The new device has created a buzz amongst technology enthusiasts and financial analysts, thanks to nifty features that may set it apart in an overcrowded smartphone market. In the stock market, RIM's share value has almost tripled over the past four months on hopes that the device is most likely to restore RIM to sustained prosperity.
"This is a huge launch for RIM," Ted Schadler, principal analyst at Forrester Research said. "They held off shipping it until it was ready, they made sure there were no bugs. Clearly, they wanted to make sure they had the best product in the hands of the right people and the most carriers. That tells you a lot about what's riding on this for them."
RIM is betting its survival on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone with a hope to find its way back into the market, dominated by Apple Inc's iPhone and Samsung Electronics' Android-powered Galaxy smartphones. But success will come only if the consumer and business enterprise customers accept the new technology.
Over 150 carriers have already tested the new BlackBerry 10 device and RIM has said the launch will be the largest ever global rollout of a new platform.
Wireless carriers have reported a strong demand for the new device. One of the Canada's top wireless carriers, Rogers Communications Inc, is among the first carrier globally to take pre-orders for the new device.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced