It’s ‘Make Or Break’ Time For RIM With BlackBerry 10
By Vijaykumar Meti | January 30, 2013 10:32 PM EST
Research In Motion (RIM) is all set to launch its innovative line of BlackBerry smartphone today.
With just 4.6 percent of the total global market share of smartphones in 2012, according to IDC, Jan. 30 is set to be the most important date in the company's history that determines its destiny.
The company, which once ruled the market with its handsets, has seen a few rough years. RIM's market shares were down by more than half in the last year, and failed to match competition with increasingly attractive touchscreen devices.
BlackBerry 10 smartphone appears well-positioned to change all that. The new device has created a buzz amongst technology enthusiasts and financial analysts, thanks to nifty features that may set it apart in an overcrowded smartphone market. In the stock market, RIM's share value has almost tripled over the past four months on hopes that the device is most likely to restore RIM to sustained prosperity.
"This is a huge launch for RIM," Ted Schadler, principal analyst at Forrester Research said. "They held off shipping it until it was ready, they made sure there were no bugs. Clearly, they wanted to make sure they had the best product in the hands of the right people and the most carriers. That tells you a lot about what's riding on this for them."
RIM is betting its survival on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone with a hope to find its way back into the market, dominated by Apple Inc's iPhone and Samsung Electronics' Android-powered Galaxy smartphones. But success will come only if the consumer and business enterprise customers accept the new technology.
Over 150 carriers have already tested the new BlackBerry 10 device and RIM has said the launch will be the largest ever global rollout of a new platform.
Wireless carriers have reported a strong demand for the new device. One of the Canada's top wireless carriers, Rogers Communications Inc, is among the first carrier globally to take pre-orders for the new device.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft