David Bradley and Jessica Raine to Star in Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Episode
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 30, 2013 10:30 PM EST
The BBC have announced David Bradley, who played the role of Argus Filch in the Harry Potter series, will play the lead role in Dr Who: An Adventure in Space and Time, to mark the 50th anniversary of the popular television show. The 70-year-old winner of the Laurence Olivier Award will be joined Jessica Raines, from the BBC1 drama series Call the Midwife.
A statement on the BBC Blogs reads:
"An Adventure in Space and Time' will tell the story of the genesis of Doctor Who - first aired on 23 November 1963 - and the many personalities involved. The BBC's Head of Drama Sydney Newman, credited with the creation of the show, will be portrayed by Brian Cox (The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Identity) and the producer, Verity Lambert, by 'Call the Midwife' star Jessica Raine. The director of the first ever episode, 'An Unearthly Child', Waris Hussein, will be played by Sacha Dhawan (History Boys, Last Tango In Halifax).
Bradley will play the role of the legendary William Hartnell, in this dramatised account of Dr Who's early years and its creation. Hartnell was the first actor to play Dr Who, for a four-part commissioned series on BBC.
An Adventure in Space and Time is to be directed by Mark Gatiss and co-produced by BBC America. BBC have confirmed the show will be aired "later this year" and there are rumours circulating that suggest the episode will be to be aired on 23 November, to coincide with the date of the first ever show in 1963.
The episode will begin filming in February, at the BBC's Television Centre before shifting to Wimbledon Studios.
Bradley is no stranger to the Dr Who series, having played Solomon in the 2012 episode - Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. The veteran thespian was ecstatic on hearing the news.
"I'm absolutely thrilled. When he [Mark Gatiss] asked if I would be interested, I almost bit his hands off. William Hartnell was one of the finest character actors of our times and as a fan I want to make sure that I do him justice. I'm so looking forward to getting started," Bradley said.
"What a cast. I'm utterly delighted that everyone's favourite Time Lord will be in such stellar company," Gatiss exclaimed. The 46-year-old is also the writer for the episode and he is excited at the opportunity to televise the tale of how an "unlikely set of brilliant people created a true television original".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Grey's Anatomy Season 11 Spoilers: Calzona Still on Shaky Ground, April's Baby Bump Gets Real, Karev vs Bailey Anticipated
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install