Canada Pledges $13-Million Mali Aid, But No New Military Commitment
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 30, 2013 9:33 PM EST
Canada Tuesday pledged to donate $13 million humanitarian aid to Mali but didn't show any sign of commitment to join the allies in offering money for a multinational African force.
According to the Vancouver Sun, the $13-million aid appeared to be separate from the more than $450 million contributed by donors at the Ethiopian conference for the military campaign against Islamist terrorists in Mali.
In a press release, Minister of International Cooperation Julian Fantino Tuesday said that Canada was increasing its investment in Mali to help improve food security, reduce malnutrition, address emergency healthcare needs and provide other much-needed humanitarian assistance.
"Canada has been a friend of the Malian people," added Minister Fantino in the release.
"Building on Canada's significant investments over the past year, Canada will continue its life-saving work in Mali through humanitarian and development assistance."
The humanitarian aid announcement was made during a high-level international meeting at the African Union Secretariat in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Addressing its House of Commons, Prime Minister Stephen Harper Monday said that Canada would not become directly involved in any combat mission in Mali.
Referring to the special forces of the Canadian military that were deployed in Mali, the prime minister said that the special force was meant to protect the Canadian assets in Mali, including its embassy.
However, Stephen Harper has offered the French the use of Canadian military transport- one C-7 Globemaster aircraft to move troops and equipment into Mali until the middle of February.
Noticing the growing Islamist rebels in Mali in recent time, France and other African countries are allying together to restore peace and security in Mali by countering the Islamist extremists.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- New Senator Jacqui Lambie Heats Up Aussie Radio by Saying Potential Suitor Should Be Rich and Well-Hung
- Australian Dollar Outlook - 22 July 2014
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports