West Ham Eye Cut Price Deal for Shakhtar Donetsk Defender – Report
By Adrian Back | January 30, 2013 9:23 PM EST
West Ham are hoping to sign Shakhtar Donetsk left-back Razvan Rat on a cut-price deal before the transfer window closes on Thursday evening.
Hammers boss Sam Allardyce has been left short in defence after seeing George McCartney ruled out through injury, while his young stand-in Daniel Potts has been sidelined after suffering a concussion in last week's defeat to Arsenal.
A loan deal for Emmanuel Pogatetz was agreed yesterday, and while the defender can play on the left, his preferred position is still in the centre.
Sky Sports believes that Allardyce will now turn his attention to Rat who may well be available on the cheap as his contract with the Ukrainian side runs out at the end of the season.
The vastly experienced 31-year-old would be a major coup for West Ham as he has been instrumental in helping Shakhtar become the powerhouse in Ukrainian football.
Rat has won six league titles, the Ukrainian Cup on four occasions and was a consistent performer the year they claimed the UEFA Cup back in 2009.
He has played more than 300 games for Shakhtar in his nine-and-a-half years with the club, whilst also appearing 86 times for Romania.
It is believed that Shakhtar would prefer to receive a fee in January, rather than allow the defender to run out his contract and leave on a free transfer at the end of the season.
West Ham are clearly keen to recruit some experience in defence having endured a difficult run of just two wins in their last 12 Premier League games.
In that time they have conceded 22 goals, with their biggest defeat coming in their last game when, after taking the lead, they went on to let in five goals against a rampant Arsenal at the Emirates.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu