BoE: Mortgage Approvals Hit Highest Level in Year
By Shane Croucher | January 30, 2013 8:42 PM EST
BoE data shows that mortgage approvals rose to 55,785 in December, up from the previous month's 54,011, beating expectations.
Net mortgage lending rose by its largest amount since April, growing by £1bn ($1.58bn; €1.16bn). Total lending to individuals was up by £1.7bn in December, way ahead of the previous six-month average of £0.5bn.
Consumer credit also defied the six-month average for growth, which is £200m, by rising £600m in December on the month before.
Despite the positive numbers, MPs on the Treasury Select Committee have expressed concern that FLS had a bias towards improving mortgage lending, with not enough affordable finance for small-to-medium sized enterprises (SMEs) being made available.
They told the Treasury and Bank of England to explore this issue and report back.
Under FLS, banks can access discount-rate loans from the Bank of England. The value of these loans is tied to the total amount they lend to smaller firms and individuals.
As the value of their lending to these parts of the economy increases, so does the amount they are able to receive from the central bank in cheap loans.
The aim of the scheme is to stimulate the availability of affordable credit in the UK economy by removing some of the lending risk for banks, because a squeeze on finance is perceived as one of the barriers to a conclusive recovery from the financial crisis.
A survey of lenders conducted by the BoE showed that a surge in lending is expected in the first quarter of 2013.
This could help lift the economy to marginal growth in the first three months of the year, avoiding a triple-dip recession which looms after a -0.3 percent contraction in the fourth quarter, sparked by falling oil production and a stagnant service sector.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports