BoE: Mortgage Approvals Hit Highest Level in Year
By Shane Croucher | January 30, 2013 8:42 PM EST
BoE data shows that mortgage approvals rose to 55,785 in December, up from the previous month's 54,011, beating expectations.
Net mortgage lending rose by its largest amount since April, growing by £1bn ($1.58bn; €1.16bn). Total lending to individuals was up by £1.7bn in December, way ahead of the previous six-month average of £0.5bn.
Consumer credit also defied the six-month average for growth, which is £200m, by rising £600m in December on the month before.
Despite the positive numbers, MPs on the Treasury Select Committee have expressed concern that FLS had a bias towards improving mortgage lending, with not enough affordable finance for small-to-medium sized enterprises (SMEs) being made available.
They told the Treasury and Bank of England to explore this issue and report back.
Under FLS, banks can access discount-rate loans from the Bank of England. The value of these loans is tied to the total amount they lend to smaller firms and individuals.
As the value of their lending to these parts of the economy increases, so does the amount they are able to receive from the central bank in cheap loans.
The aim of the scheme is to stimulate the availability of affordable credit in the UK economy by removing some of the lending risk for banks, because a squeeze on finance is perceived as one of the barriers to a conclusive recovery from the financial crisis.
A survey of lenders conducted by the BoE showed that a surge in lending is expected in the first quarter of 2013.
This could help lift the economy to marginal growth in the first three months of the year, avoiding a triple-dip recession which looms after a -0.3 percent contraction in the fourth quarter, sparked by falling oil production and a stagnant service sector.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen