BoE: Mortgage Approvals Hit Highest Level in Year
By Shane Croucher | January 30, 2013 8:42 PM EST
BoE data shows that mortgage approvals rose to 55,785 in December, up from the previous month's 54,011, beating expectations.
Net mortgage lending rose by its largest amount since April, growing by £1bn ($1.58bn; €1.16bn). Total lending to individuals was up by £1.7bn in December, way ahead of the previous six-month average of £0.5bn.
Consumer credit also defied the six-month average for growth, which is £200m, by rising £600m in December on the month before.
Despite the positive numbers, MPs on the Treasury Select Committee have expressed concern that FLS had a bias towards improving mortgage lending, with not enough affordable finance for small-to-medium sized enterprises (SMEs) being made available.
They told the Treasury and Bank of England to explore this issue and report back.
Under FLS, banks can access discount-rate loans from the Bank of England. The value of these loans is tied to the total amount they lend to smaller firms and individuals.
As the value of their lending to these parts of the economy increases, so does the amount they are able to receive from the central bank in cheap loans.
The aim of the scheme is to stimulate the availability of affordable credit in the UK economy by removing some of the lending risk for banks, because a squeeze on finance is perceived as one of the barriers to a conclusive recovery from the financial crisis.
A survey of lenders conducted by the BoE showed that a surge in lending is expected in the first quarter of 2013.
This could help lift the economy to marginal growth in the first three months of the year, avoiding a triple-dip recession which looms after a -0.3 percent contraction in the fourth quarter, sparked by falling oil production and a stagnant service sector.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Russia Demands Ukraine Release Communications With Doomed Malaysia Airlines MH17, Preliminary Report On Investigations Out This Month
- Ebola Update: Liberian Forces Receive Shoot Orders Against People Trying to Cross from Sierra Leone Border
- Historic First Time: Catholic Pontiff Pope Francis Supports Military Intervention Against ISIS In Iraq
- Chinese Airlines Receives Lawsuit for Rejecting HIV-Positive Passengers
- Travel Alert: Canada Issues Warning Against Chikungunya Disease in Caribbean
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features